Fixing / fine tuning my build

navyorion

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello,
I built this computer last christmas and do not feel like I get what I should out of it, was wondering if you guys could point out my draw backs.

CPU: i7 950 stock speed (runs hot out of box)
PSU: 1000 watt BFG
SSD: 150 gb
HD: 1tb
GPU: 2x EVGA gtx 570's
MOBO: Gygabyte
Heatsink: Offbrand water cooled
RAM: 6 gigs ( don't know exactly what they are )

Monitors: Running a 24" LED Sceptre as a primary, and have a Flatron LG E2350 as a second, plan to buy a third for less than 200.

Let me know, and thank you.

navyorion

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Meant to add this also:

I have the Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium sound card, and some shitty speakers... whats a good surround sound... ( so I can soundwh re ) system to get to with this?

navyorion

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Don't know why is running hot I bought a H70 for my last comp, and when I got this one It looked more solid... if you can understand what I mean :) So I kep this one and gave away the h70. And IBUYPOWER for some reason doesn't list what coolers they use or have used.

Just saw last reply.... it runs within 20 min of start stress test upwards of 70 c

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Is it water cooled right now? Is it seated properly? Is the thermal paste applied correctly? A good cheap air cooler is the hyper 212 for around $30 bucks, which cools on par with much more expensive coolers.

navyorion

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Don't get mad at me, but I used some Dynex Silver compound from Bestbuy as my paste...and the sink is seated good, the fan is blowing into the into the radiator... I had it sucking out but just switched it around a couple of days ago... seems to have cut it by 10

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

I AM SO MAD... but seriously did you remove the old paste first? Not trying to sound condescending it is just basic questions :)

navyorion

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
TBH I did not completely remove it... I did not go buy the liquid people recomend to actually scrub it flawlessly... I scraped it off to where it had a slight dullness from the old paste... and then applied the new paste.

PSU oversized
SSD & HD not described so cant comment
HS inadequate if running hot

H70 is not at all impressive and noisy as hell.

I have air coolers running 950's with temps at 70C at 4.0 Ghz. You don't mention case / case cooling.

I'm using the Silver Arrow as my HS of choice for both its thermal and acoustical performance. Waiting for the Hyper 612 which will be like a high end version of the 212.