Upgrading system, looking for best cpu/$

Neostryx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I am currently in process of upgrading my system and I want the best performance I can get for each dollar I spend. I am aware right now that the i7 2600k is the baddest kid on the block, however it's also ridiculously expensive, where in contrast there is the FX-8150 which seems to have gotten quite a few sub par reviews and overall is deemed a failure, but is also considerably cheaper. As it stands I am siding with AMD due to their processors being more cost effective and from what I've seen they have a better performance to dollar ratio. I may have seen biased comparisons or other factors may have been influencing these readouts. I have also noticed that AMD has come out with a new socket series and would it be best for me to wait and see what this FM1 socket has to offer and perhaps also the new intel chips? (not sure when the new bridge series is coming out, I really don't follow intel and haven't since my first upgrade when I had a celeron that when I overclocked it, it *** it's drawers and died. I don't remember what celeron it was but it was 1999 or 1998). Hopefully I didn't convolute the subject too much, a quick recap; I'm looking for the best cpu performance to cost ratio and would it be more prudent to wait a few months for the new architectures to be released? Also I should let it be clear that I'm upgrading primarily for gaming. I have other questions but I will save them for their appropriate forums.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
It depends what socket you are using currently. If you are using an Intel socket, then it makes sense to buy the new intel offerings (i3-2100 IS the best price performance in the intel gaming category).
However if you have an AM2+ /AM3, you don't need anything more than PIIx4 for gaming. Even more, the Athlon IIx4 is more than sufficient enough.

Neostryx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I will keep the i5 2500k in mind. It is well within my budget and I'm also not in a rush for a new cpu, I'm willing to wait if newer technologies will bring in better cpus or at least make the current optimum choices more cost effective.

I was also thinking about the PIIx4 since I do have an AM3 board, although I may be upgrading to a SLI/Crossfire enabled board, I just haven't decided if it's really worth it or just something to throw into a pissing contest.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you decide to upgrade your mobo you should look at upgrading your platform to Sandybridge: it is the most cost effective for performance.

If you are waiting for the next new platform, I am afraid that you will be waiting forever. There are always new hardware platforms coming.

The Sandybridge platform is the price/performance platform in the last decade, if not in the entire history of gaming oriented computers. With the new Gen3 mobos you have an easy upgrade path to Ivybridge when it arrives. The Sandybridge E 2011 platform is for those who have large budgets and plan ultimae gaming rigs. But the cost is double/treble that of the Sandybridge 1155.

Upgrades on the AMD platform are available, but do not match Intel's offerings,

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

2nd this. For around $350 you can step up to some of the best performance offered in the industry, can't beat that.

Neostryx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I have been looking over the i5 processors and I'm thinking about the 2500 only cause it seems the difference between the 2500 and the 2500k is better onboard graphics? That's virtually useless to me as onboard graphics are a waste from my point of view.

Forget this reply I did some further research and discovered that the K model allows for overclocking or better overclocking, either way for the minimal difference in cost I would see myself getting an i5 2500k for sure just for the overclocking possibilities.

dummos

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
no the difference is the 2500k has unlocked multipliers and is beyone easy to overclock. i recently got a 2500k and am in love with it. for $200 ish it is very fast and mine is running at 4.8gHz with idle 24 degrees 55 at load with an aftermarket cooler
for cost effective performance i highly recommend it over a 2500 for the sake of 20-30 dollar difference