Help plz wierd problem

prizner

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
So I am at my Mom's house helping her with her pc and I noticed something odd only her browser can connect to the internet. Messenger can't steam can't (ya i installed just to see lol) windows update wont even coonect. yet browser works fine. Even news updates on desktop have stopped and anti- virus updates all stopped on July 7th it looks like. That was the last time the anti virus software updated as well as the news

I restarted in safe mode even disabled firewall just to see but nothing works its vista home edition 32bit any help would be awesome

Solution
If nt then it sounds like you may have a firewall problem, I am hoping that she has something for example like zonealarm installed, this gives you pop up questions after installation saying XXX.exe is trying to access internet/resource and asks you do you want to grant access? She may have clicked no to these pop ups and hence everything but internet explorer is blocked or even its default settings could be set too tight.

If this isnt the case then god know, could be anything, ..back up data and re-install windows...that normally solves most problems.

curtis_87

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
If nt then it sounds like you may have a firewall problem, I am hoping that she has something for example like zonealarm installed, this gives you pop up questions after installation saying XXX.exe is trying to access internet/resource and asks you do you want to grant access? She may have clicked no to these pop ups and hence everything but internet explorer is blocked or even its default settings could be set too tight.

If this isnt the case then god know, could be anything, ..back up data and re-install windows...that normally solves most problems.

Solution