Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bottleneck or Not?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 10, 2011 1:58:24 PM

Hey,ive just bought some of my last parts 1 week ago to build them together and i want to ask is there any bottlenecking on my system?

The specs are:

CPU-Intel Core i7 950,l3 Cache-8 Mb,Clock Speed 3066 MHz

Motherboard-Asus Rampage III Gene

Video Card-Asus GeForce GTX 465

Power Supply-Cooler Master Real Power 620W

Memorys-Corsair Dominator 3X2GB 1600MHz CL8

Windows 7 PRO,32bit

More about : bottleneck

a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 2:05:19 PM

your 32bit opsys negates having all that ram. maybe the graphics card depending on what you do.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 2:06:30 PM

Looks pretty good to me, except 32 bit OS on 6gb of ram.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 2:07:51 PM

Yes you need to install a 64 bit OS or your memory will be be addressed 4.0 GB only in Win 7 32 bit.
EDIT: you might wanna upgrade your GPu to something more powerful such as GTX 560ti or GTX 570.
December 10, 2011 2:20:34 PM

ilysaml said:
Yes you need to install a 64 bit OS or your memory will be be addressed 4.0 GB only in Win 7 32 bit.
EDIT: you might wanna upgrade your GPu to something more powerful such as GTX 560ti or GTX 570.


I have tried installing a Windows 7 64bit 2 days ago,and the games ran about 12% slower in FPS,the windows was also working slower on 6gb ram.

I cannot buy a new video card at the moment,as i spend all my money on the cpu which was my last part of the system.

But whitout anything changed there is no bottleneck right?
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 2:24:11 PM

don't know why they would run slower but you're screwing yourself with the 32bit.
December 10, 2011 2:31:30 PM

swifty_morgan said:
don't know why they would run slower but you're screwing yourself with the 32bit.



At the moment 4GB is enought for most games,i understand 6GB is more suitable but as i dont have a fresh copy disk of a good windows 7 64bit,all i can do is use the 32bit at the moment until i find a good guy that can copy a disk of windows 7 64bit professional.

a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 2:45:29 PM

that may be true for the most part but games aren't the only thing running that rely on ram........ the ram................ your system runs in triple channel mode not dual channel mode. your ram's not running right to give best performance.... culprit, 32bit opsys.
December 10, 2011 2:53:54 PM

swifty_morgan said:
that may be true for the most part but games aren't the only thing running that rely on ram........ the ram................ your system runs in triple channel mode not dual channel mode. your ram's not running right to give best performance.... culprit, 32bit opsys.


True,but i dont know why games like mafia 2 or battlefield 3 started to lagg a bit more on the 64bit.

Was it bugs whit the windows 64 or something,i cant really tell.

The best is that i will get a fresh new copy of win7 64bit PRO one day and maybe a new video card if i get the money...
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 3:25:00 PM

So what's your gaming resolution ? do you play with everything maxed out @ ultra settings ?
December 10, 2011 3:31:22 PM

ilysaml said:
So what's your gaming resolution ? do you play with everything maxed out @ ultra settings ?



About 65% of games that i play i put them to maximum,but not always.

It dosent matter,on windows 7 32bit,i get more FPS,maxed out on battlefield 3 or Mafia 2 for example,than on windows 7 64bit.

Games like crysis 2,battlefield 3,mafia 2,Call of duty black ops i play them on maximum whit VSYNC off.



Offtopic question:

Do you know there was a website that you type the video card name and it shows the advantages of it and the disadvantages of it,it also shows fps on every game test on some resolutions.

I just forgot what was the name of that website.

a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 3:51:38 PM

You can google the GTX 465, type in GTX 465 review, and you'll find tons of websites showing benches for it with DX9/10/11 games @ ultra settings.

Just tell me how many FPS you get on each game you mentioned, if you get more than 25 FPS in BF3, Crysis 2 DX 11 @ 1080P ultra settings, you're more than fine.
December 10, 2011 3:56:57 PM

ilysaml said:
You can google the GTX 465, type in GTX 465 review, and you'll find tons of websites showing benches for it with DX9/10/11 games @ ultra settings.

Just tell me how many FPS you get on each game you mentioned, if you get more than 25 FPS in BF3, Crysis 2 DX 11 @ 1080P ultra settings, you're more than fine.



Can you tell me how to check if i am using DX11,i know im using dx 10 cuz i play devil may cry 4 whit dx10,but im not sure if i am playing other games whit DX11. Or just please give me a download link for Dirext X11,it would be really helpful.

As for the FPS checker,should i use Fraps or there is better programs released nowadays?
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 4:14:14 PM

Dx11 is already installed in win7, Crysis 2 has a DX11 patch, Metro 2033 is DX11, BF3 is DX11 game... all of those games support DX11.

And yea use Fraps to record your FPS.
December 10, 2011 4:32:59 PM

ilysaml said:
Dx11 is already installed in win7, Crysis 2 has a DX11 patch, Metro 2033 is DX11, BF3 is DX11 game... all of those games support DX11.

And yea use Fraps to record your FPS.



Even if i put lowest settings the game will still be running Dx11?

I will post the fps i get in a few minutes.

I didnt install crysis 2 yet,but ill edit the post later if i install and check.
December 10, 2011 4:56:18 PM

Ok here is the FPS i tested on some games:

Battlefield III-38-46

Batman Arkham City-30-44

Mafia II-71-81

Grand Theft Auto IV-59.40

Every single game is Maxed settings DX11,Vsync off.

No DX11 on Grand Theft Auto IV only the other 3.

So how is it? what do you think?

If i installed a good working windows 7 64 bit,would i get more fps on those games? if so approximentally how much?

a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 5:36:22 PM

again, are you playing maxed out at 1080P resolution ? if so i can't believe you achieved such results with GTX 465 in BF3, and B AC.

If so, you're doing than great.
December 10, 2011 5:51:22 PM

ilysaml said:
again, are you playing maxed out at 1080P resolution ? if so i can't believe you achieved such results with GTX 465 in BF3, and B AC.

If so, you're doing than great.



What do you mean 1080P?

My monitor resolution is 1280x1024 60HZ refresh rate at normal,but i set it at 75HZ refresh rate on BF3.
December 10, 2011 5:52:18 PM

i know i would get slower FPS at higher resolution monitors,but can you explain to me what do you mean by 1080P resolution? if its possible to change it,tell me how please.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 6:54:24 PM

no it's not possible, 1080P means 1920 x 1080 resolution (Full HD)
December 11, 2011 4:57:30 AM

ilysaml said:
no it's not possible, 1080P means 1920 x 1080 resolution (Full HD)


Well im fine whit my monitor,i could use a 1600x1200 monitor,but oh well thats for later.

By the way isnt like 2080x1920 or something the highest resolution to play on?
December 11, 2011 5:28:48 AM

Encana said:
Well im fine whit my monitor,i could use a 1600x1200 monitor,but oh well thats for later.

By the way isnt like 2080x1920 or something the highest resolution to play on?

If you do get a new screen, you probably want one with either a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio (eg 1920x1200 and 1920x1080) as 4:3 (1600x1200) is quite outdated and things like videos won't fill your screen properly like they would on a widescreen monitor (16:10 or 16:9). As far as single monitors go, the highest res they make are 2560x1600, but there's always eyefinity which allows for up to 6 at 1080 :D 
December 11, 2011 5:54:33 AM

blackjackedy said:
If you do get a new screen, you probably want one with either a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio (eg 1920x1200 and 1920x1080) as 4:3 (1600x1200) is quite outdated and things like videos won't fill your screen properly like they would on a widescreen monitor (16:10 or 16:9). As far as single monitors go, the highest res they make are 2560x1600, but there's always eyefinity which allows for up to 6 at 1080 :D 


I see :D 

Well i get 52-60 FPS at ultra settings on crysis 2 at my resolution and im fine whit it :) 

My monitor is like 7 years old now,but its still working like a charm.

I dont have any money left to buy even a higher wattage psu.

But if i do get a better videocard,like a 570GTX or something,will my coolermaster 620w handle it or will i need a better psu?
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2011 7:44:33 AM

yes it will handle it, but you need to upgrade your monitor first to enjoy the full potential power of the GPU.
December 11, 2011 8:59:46 AM

ilysaml said:
yes it will handle it, but you need to upgrade your monitor first to enjoy the full potential power of the GPU.


I will get more lagg on a higher resolution monitor if i do it.

But its different right?

For example a GTX 465 is suited for a X monitor

And a GTX 570 is suited for a Y monitor?

Y is more Resolution than X.

a b à CPUs
December 11, 2011 12:05:21 PM

The higher the resolution, the higher end GPU needed, the higher gaming visual experience.
December 11, 2011 12:32:47 PM

ilysaml said:
The higher the resolution, the higher end GPU needed, the higher gaming visual experience.



And the higher lagg depending on what game and what requirements is for it right?


And are intel processors or AMD processors better for gaming? just asking
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2011 3:16:49 PM

Intel is dominating right now, and your system is powerful enough to run any upcoming game without any lag, your only real bottleneck that i see is your monitor, upgrade your monitor to a full HD 1080P one.

December 11, 2011 3:43:10 PM

ilysaml said:
Intel is dominating right now, and your system is powerful enough to run any upcoming game without any lag, your only real bottleneck that i see is your monitor, upgrade your monitor to a full HD 1080P one.



Will do SIR! :D 

(when i get the money for it)
!