Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Phenom II X6 1090t or Intel Core i5 2500k sandy bridge

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2011 4:19:42 AM

Ok I'm 14 and I'm making my first Gaming Rig. Although the main purpose of this rig is for gaming I want to do some other stuff on it as well like doing some 1080p video editing, getting a stable high framerate on fraps when recording in-game on a high resolution, doing some 3D animation in stuff like CryEngine 2, making my own maps, AI wars and ETC in engines like in CryEngine 2, making mods, and pretty much giving me great performance for at least 2 years. Unfortunately I spent the last of my money on RAM compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, and AMD AM3 Platform.
Now I hear how great Sandy bridge is and I'm feeling like I wasted my last $44 bucks. That is also another reason why I feel like I should steer to AMD Bulldozer(if its affordable) and the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.
I know that with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T it gives great overclocking potential even with air cooling since its 6 cores and is a Black edition CPU. I'm trying to look at some benchmarks of the CPU's but I'm afraid that they are biased photoshopped benchmarks made by AMD and Intel Fanboys. I'm also worried since I hear the motherboards for the sandy bridge are defective. I can't find any Intel motherboards that have the same quality features as the Asus IV Crosshair motherboard.
Here is my plan for the rig:
Azza Solano 1000r japanese red/black steel case(already bought)
EVGA SuperOverClocked GTX 570 KR
4gb ram ddr3 133mhz(already bought)
Western Digital Black Caviar 6.0gb/s 500gb(already bought)
RoseWill Bronze Series 1000watt PSU(already bought)
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (or AMD Bulldozer if it ain't expensive and comes out soon)
Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard or a AM3+ mobo
Also if anyone knows when bulldozer comes out please tell me and please no biased comments.
Edited: Also I'm looking for something a bit future proof. I know that AMD doesn't make socket changes as much as Intel which another thing that pushes me back from Intel CPUs. If the performance difference is big then I might to stick to which ever is suitable for me.
February 27, 2011 4:40:32 AM

If you can afford 1090T then you can afford Bulldozer. AMD has a good reputation for low pricing and Bulldozer will be better for the future.
Wait for Bulldoze would be my advice.
Score
February 27, 2011 4:42:15 AM

tf141 said:
If you can afford 1090T then you can afford Bulldozer. AMD has a good reputation for low pricing and Bulldozer will be better for the future.
Wait for Bulldoze would be my advice.

Do you know if AM3+ mobos and bulldozer will be compatible with AM3 RAM?
Score
Related resources
February 27, 2011 4:49:55 AM

Out of the 2 i'd go with the i5 2500k..But you probably won't be able to get a sandy bridge motherboard for another month or so...As for Bulldozer no one knows when its coming out...Also Ivy Bridge is compatible with sandy bridge so if you ever want to upgrade the i5 2500k you can later on...Plus with Bulldozer being release around the corner im not sure if your going to want to buy the Phenom II X6 1090T...Atleast with Sandy Bridge you know it's new
Score
February 27, 2011 4:50:15 AM

AM3 RAM is DDR3 so yeah it should work.

Also the chipset problem on Sandy Bridge is fixed now so the 2600K looks like a good option. It gives the 980X a run for its money so it'll easily smoke the 1090T.
Whether or not it smokes the Bulldozer chips only time will tell.
Score
February 27, 2011 4:50:52 AM

He is right. If u can wait for a couple of months for bulldozer . U can get a better CPU for the same price u'll pay now.
If u r impatient then go for the intel option...no doubt about that.
Score
February 27, 2011 4:51:25 AM

Hirachi said:
Do you know if AM3+ mobos and bulldozer will be compatible with AM3 RAM?

it should be...i know that the current 6 core cpu is compatible with AM3 + motherboards...
Score
February 27, 2011 4:54:21 AM

tony singh said:
He is right. If u can wait for a couple of months for bulldozer . U can get a better CPU for the same price u'll pay now.
If u r impatient then go for the intel option...no doubt about that.

How do you know Bulldozer 8 core will be the same price as the current 6 core amd? If AMD is claiming that the 8 core Bulldozer if faster then the current 4 core i7's from Intel then i don't see it being $199.99...It'll most likely be $299.99 if not more..Hopefully im wrong though it would be nice if it's $199.99
Score
February 27, 2011 4:59:19 AM

Hirachi im building my build soon also...I too was waiting for Bulldozer but since they don't have a official release date im going for the i5 2500k...Even if Bulldozer is faster then sandy bridge quad atleast i know i can upgrade it later with Ivy Bridge when it releases...
Score
February 27, 2011 5:28:37 AM

I my might be finished by late may/june, if Bulldozer is over $250 then I will not get it. I have to wait at least a month to get each of the remaining parts.
Score
February 27, 2011 5:34:16 AM

Hirachi said:
I my might be finished by late may/june, if Bulldozer is over $250 then I will not get it. I have to wait at least a month to get each of the remaining parts.

Bulldozer will most likely be more then $250...I don't see it being less then when the 6 core Amd came out for $299.99 in release...are you buying parts now? if so why what if the parts don't work...just wait till you have all the money to build the system...that's what im doing...i'll have enough to build my system in April...I'll just have to settle with my GTX 295 for now and upgrade it later..I already bought my Lian-li mid tower case...Eveything else will come in in April or whenever Sandy Bridge releases its motherboards again...
Score
February 27, 2011 5:46:47 AM

Quote:
Bulldozer will most likely be more then $250...I don't see it being less then when the 6 core Amd came out for $299.99 in release...are you buying parts now? if so why what if the parts don't work...just wait till you have all the money to build the system...that's what im doing...i'll have enough to build my system in April...I'll just have to settle with my GTX 295 for now and upgrade it later..I already bought my Lian-li mid tower case...Eveything else will come in in April or whenever Sandy Bridge releases its motherboards again...

I see what you mean I guess by the time Bulldozer and its motherboards come out the price on the GPU I want will drop a little. But I have no computer capable of playing the games I want to play like Stalker, Crysis, killing floor, Portal, Half-life2 Alien Swarm, Devil May Cry 4, Darksider, Prototype, Vindictus and etc. My home computers are prebuilt brand-name *** with intel intergrated GPUs which my father stupidly paid $600 with interest(he is still paying it off -_-). I want my system built soon as possible because so many great games like The Witcher 2, Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2, Portal 2, Deus Ex, Red Orchestra 2, and others. The steam sales on so many games I want to play badly make me want to put a bullet in my head. I also want to make Lets plays of these games so I can finally get a good amount of views on youtube that aren't from incredibly old videos. My ventrillo/clan mates are waiting on me to finish this rig so I can comeback and help them.
Score
February 27, 2011 6:10:21 AM

@ Hirachi since you want a system pretty badly go for the 2500K. No point waiting, new tech will always come out. Also since you want to do stuff like video editing and all the 2600K will be a better option.

P.S I said wait for Bulldozer in my 1st post cause, well new tech better than old tech and you were considering the 1090T.

And one more thing not all Bulldozer CPUs are going to be 8 cores. There wiil be some Hyper Treading quad CPUs which will beat the 1090T and be less than $250.
Score
February 27, 2011 7:35:16 AM

tf141 said:
@ Hirachi since you want a system pretty badly go for the 2500K. No point waiting, new tech will always come out. Also since you want to do stuff like video editing and all the 2600K will be a better option.

P.S I said wait for Bulldozer in my 1st post cause, well new tech better than old tech and you were considering the 1090T.

And one more thing not all Bulldozer CPUs are going to be 8 cores. There wiil be some Hyper Treading quad CPUs which will beat the 1090T and be less than $250.

I think I'll try and wait it out first just incase if bulldozer and other AMD CPUs come out unexpectedly. I guess I'll just save my money for the GPU and OS and get those first if bulldozer and the other CPUs/mobos don't come out.
Score
February 27, 2011 7:55:54 AM

yeah just save your money till you have enough to build and then make your decision...
Score
February 27, 2011 7:26:39 PM

I would wait for sandy fix I7 2600k will slap the crap out of the 1090t.
Score
a b À AMD
September 10, 2011 3:31:51 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
a b À AMD
September 10, 2011 3:32:08 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Score
!