Sign in with
Your question

Ivy Bridge Vs, Sandy Bridge

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 2:52:52 PM

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/HostileDonit/?...

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/HostileDonit/?...

I checked out the news letter on TH about Ivy Bridge and SB-E. I looked at the Ivy Bridge CPU-Z and it didn't look too impressive. I know that it was just a core i3, but the core i5 2500k has twice as much cache, and 3.3ghz vs. 2.4Ghz. The voltage even seems a bit higher. Unless they really made each clock a lot faster than SB, is it really going to be worth it? Even TH said that there test runs were not that impressive. Although, 22nm and a 55w TDP does sound nice. I know they still have a lot of refining to do on the CPU, so it could get much better. Anyways, just my thoughts on the CPU. Would love to hear input.

P.S. I was looking at my Core i5 2500k vs. the Core i3, so I know it may not be fair.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 7:54:22 PM

you gotta look at the fact that ivy bridge is meant for the masses, not the gamers and above...
its meant to run cool, run in labtops ect
in my opinion its probaly going to be a year or two until the high end chips make the trip down to 22nm transistors
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 8:39:47 PM

Wait, Ivy Bridge isn't going to be for performance desktops like Sandy Bridge? I heard that Ivy Bridge was going to come out like Sandy Bridge and the first Core i line did.
m
l
Related resources
a c 480 à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:01:56 PM

Ivy Bridge is meant for both mainstream and gamers. There will be Core i3/i5/i7 versions.

It's Sandy Bridge-E that's for the enthusiasts.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:05:09 PM

jaguarskx said:
Ivy Bridge is meant for both mainstream and gamers. There will be Core i3/i5/i7 versions.

It's Sandy Bridge-E that's for the enthusiasts.

That is what I thought. Sounds more like it. Just, Ivy Bridge doesn't look that impressive. SB was a BANG! and Ivy Bridge sounds more like a pop.

Guess I will have to wait and see.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:34:21 PM

That is what I said..... Just Ivy Bridge does not look as impressive as SB did when it came out.
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:37:56 PM

TICK TOCK, IVB is incremental improvement SB was big improvement, post IVB will be next big improvement.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:39:46 PM

13thmonkey said:
TICK TOCK, IVB is incremental improvement SB was big improvement, post IVB will be next big improvement.

Well, what I am saying is IB is supposed to be the next big improvement, but it looks like an improvement. Not anything spectacular. I could very well be wrong though, just my thoughts on things.
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:44:36 PM

no ivy bridge is meant to be the next small improvement, the one that after that is the next big improvement, no arch changes just die shrink this time round.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2011 9:46:01 PM

13thmonkey said:
no ivy bridge is meant to be the next small improvement, the one that after that is the next big improvement, no arch changes just die shrink this time round.

Got it. Thanks. Sounds like what I was looking at.
m
l
!