otaku1012

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I built this comp about 4 months ago and this morning I went to power it up to do some gaming. Loaded bios and started to load windows then cut off. I tried turning it on again and same thing, would start to load for 5 to 10 seconds then cut off. A few times I got it to load completely into windows but after a min the power cut off. Now it won't even turn on. Checked all connections and nothing is loose. I'm going to trade psu's with a buddy to find out if that's the problem but until then I wanted to get some input as to whether this sounds like a psu issue or maybe my motherboard crapped out.

nate_09

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
what you can do now until u get your buddy's psu is to try a paper clip test. disconnect or take your psu completely out of your case, you can use a case fan for eg to test it. find the 20/24 pin mother board connector, there should only be one green wire, what you do is bend the paper clip into a 'U' shape n let one end make contact with the green wire, and the other end contact with any black wire. when u do this if the fan spins and then cuts off after 5-10 secs as u said..then u know 4 sure its your psu, if the fan spins up n doesnt cut off..problem..just may be elsewhere. its nt definitive but itl help

otaku1012

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Did the paper clip test and my psu is fine. Think I've figured it out now. Booted my pc with nothing attached and after windows ran for a good 5 mins or so I went to plus my keyboard and mouse into my front usb ports. As soon as I did my comp shut off. Did this a few more times so I think there is a short there. Didn't know a usb port could do that. Anyone ever heard of this happening before? Not a big deal, I just use the rear ones now with no problem.

Yes. I've heard of miswired front panel USB ports burning out circuit traces on a motherboard.