Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading computer need urgent advice

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2011 6:30:16 PM

i want to upgrade my new PC.i wanted to know which parts should i buy sooner do i really need to change my cpu and motherboard to play latest games.because the minimum requirement they need is already in my lineup except gpu.

i have a old PC with a core 2 duo and a Intel 4500x built in graphics card .what i really wanted to know is some advice about a x68 motherboards,a core i7 processor or i5 processor,a graphics card around 180$. Here you can have a better look about what i want to know.

Approximate Purchase Date: January 2012

Budget Range:600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: playing games with medium definition,surfing net,web developing,programming,photo and video editing,office works and so on.

Parts Not Required:keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS,hard disk,power supply

Parts Preferences:

processor:Intel core i7 or i5(help me with the model)

motherboard:gigabyte z68 (help me with the model)

graphics card:nvidia geforce is preferred but if you can show me a radeon card with better performance and improved
graphics quality i will seriously check it(help me with the model)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1366*768 Samsung syncmaster933

Additional Comments: as i am a tech freak i know almost everything about product spcification what i do not know is that which product will give me the best performance worth my money so please be very specific about models.

i have a 500 watt thermal-take powersupply

i do not remember the exact model number but it is from the series tough power i bought this power supply because other good brands are not available also i do not want too much electricity bill.
September 10, 2011 8:11:12 PM

You should upgrade your monitor before anything else.

I mean what's the point of a corei7 and fast graphics card with that tiny monitor?? It would be a complete waste and you wouldn't even use 50% of the systems potential.

Your power supply size has no relation to your electric bill. It doesn't matter if you have a 1500w psu or a 450w psu, your only paying for the power the system consumes, which would be exactly the same no matter what size the psu is.
m
l
September 10, 2011 9:02:31 PM

Your post is very confusing , in the first paragraph you say you want to build a new computer and then in the second paragraph you say you do not want to build a new computer you just want info?

The Intel core i5 2500k is the most you will need and it is a great cpu.
Motherboard ; GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video card ; GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N460SO-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....
This is a $199.99 video card with a $50 rebate.

With the above selections if you go with the cpu and video card I listed you will save some money that you can throw towards a new monitor. What's the point of doing any of the upgrades if you are not going to do an upgrade with the monitor.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 11, 2011 1:51:59 AM

You can get the video card now, and play it in your current core 2 system (your PSU is big enough). That may help you wait to buy the rest until your Jan 2012 date when the post christmas sales appear. There are also several new processors coming out from intel/amd and that may reduce the price of the i5/i7 cpus and MBs.

Here are suggested video cards by price range. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-... Since you like nvidia and want to spend $180, the GeForce GTX 560 is in your range. The GTX 460 1 GB would be the next step cheaper but make sure you do not get the crippled SE version thinking you found a really cheap GTX 460 1 GB. The SE is fine but is a cheaper, lower performance part.

you will need memory with the new MB and processor. 6-8GB is the right amount. Look at benchmarks and see if you need i7-2600 or can live with i5-2500. Most people choose i5-2500. Get the 'k' version if you plan to overclock.

for the MB, if you keep PCs for a while, sata 3 (6gbit) and USB3 are mandatory. If you goto a new MB every other year then they are less necessary.
September 12, 2011 11:44:05 AM

Best answer selected by nibir2011.
m
l
!