POST Hang / Delay

Gsusnme

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Hello, the problem I am currently experiencing is during the BIOS POST.
CPU, Memory, IDE, SATA, PCI, PCI-E, USB, LAN - is the post order on my mobo.

After CPU (maybe during?) and before Memory the post hangs, from between 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
I'm not entirely sure if it's during or after CPU as the text on the screen stating my CPU specs appears, but that's all that appears before it hangs. When the memory specs appear everything POSTS fine and the PC starts up as normal.

I ran the latest version of Memtest for an hour going through two 100% tests with no error's, so I really don't think it's a problem with the memory.

This happens during cold-boots and warm-boots.
I'm really left at a loss, after the long delayed post Windows runs fine, my applications and games run fine, Crysis 2, Assassin's Creed, Madness Returns, whatever, all fine.

Here are my EXACT components:
Motherboard, CPU, Memory, GPU, PSU

My gut tells me it's my CPU, aside from stress testing the CPU with a utility I'm not sure of any way to test it for inconsistency or errors.
I will be cracking open the case to clean (I clean every month) this weekend and will be checking connections and making sure everything is seated properly.

This has only started happening over the last few days, I usually simply let my PC sleep, but occasionally I simply shut it down entirely, and I reboot around the 24 hour up-time mark. I noticed a hint of it a few days ago but was not actually paying attention and only registered now that I fully acknowledged there is an issue (when I booted my PC this morning and it hung.)

Anyone have a similar experience that may have some insight?
Thanks in advance!

Can you double check what your BIOS is setting for memory speed and voltage vs. the specs of the memory you are using? Can you try manually setting the memory speed and see if the time to boot is improved.

aside: most bios have a diagnostic boot mode that includes a memory test that might take 30 seconds to 2 minutes... any chance you have set the bios to do that (i did that with a laptop to give an SSD time to init after power on. The ssd was not detected without the memory test, but was detected fine when the mem test was run. I RMA'd the SSD).

Gsusnme

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
By default memory timings and voltage are all set to auto; I tested them with their factory recommended settings manually set as well and there was no difference.

On my motherboard there is Quick Boot.
Off and it runs a slew of diagnostics on each boot, On and it does not.
I have it set to on. Turning it off and having it run through all of the stuff obviously takes much, much longer and it still freezes at the aforementioned spot.