XtremephysX

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hey guys, I still haven't decided what motherboard to get.
I had a really difficult time with my old motherboard that I bought last year, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, it was a terrible board...
I don't want a bad board this time, I lost a lot of money on that board and it died
I'm about to buy the Sabertooth Z77 but I want to think about this a little more before committing.
What is the best Z77 motherboard in terms of durability, reliability, value for the money, overclocking, overall performance etc...
I DO NOT want extra features like on board Audio, expensive SLI chips, extra useless (to me) features that I'll never ever use etc... I just want a solid Z77 board for about $250 - $300

Solution
Well I know I will never purchase an Asus motherboard again. Their customer service is horrible. 1 day under 2 weeks to get back with an RMA number for a P8Z77-Premium motherboard, when they state after 48 hrs it will get bumped to the highest priority. Then after I send it back to them they state the onboard damage to the pins is going to cost me $120 plus shipping, which was not done by me. It was either done in shipping to Newegg or by Newegg being they didn't want to replace the board. The shipper won't insure the package that was sent back insured. Newegg wouln't do anything other than ship the board back without pictures or anything other than an email. Asus's customer rep sends me an email asking a bunch of questions and...
Huh, how was the "ASUS Rampage III Extreme...terrible"? The root source of most bad MOBO's are bad components including a PSU that killed it. Your R3E MOBO has a 3-year full warranty.

Sure the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 is very good, and has a 5 year warranty.

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
Best for Overclocking - Maximus V Extreme.
Best for Gamers - Maximus V Formula.

Best Overall Performance (I've tested about 20 board, out of which just one shined out of the crowd) - Maximus V Extreme.

The Extreme is too expensive but.

The Sabertooth is an AMAZING board! Go for it!

XtremephysX

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
My PSU is a very high quality seasonic.
It just doesn't recognise any of my hard drives and SSD's, and now it doesn't even turn on.
Either the sabertooth z77 or MSI Z77A-GD65, we'll see.

Things happen, RMA the R3E. I appreciate the Z77 but for the cost of a new: CPU, MOBO and RAM the small gains for most uses doesn't quantify the LGA 1366 to LGA 1155. Heck my gaming rig is an i7-980X and 3-WAY GTX 680's and my benches are right up there and I couldn't justify the expense. My goal is to hold off to the Haswell and hopefully some of the IB issues are worked out and the overall speed increase justifies the upgrades.

XtremephysX

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
I'll get the Sabertooth Z77 with white tubing
Does this forum have anything to do with OC3D? Because hte owner of oc3d is Tom as well ?!?!?
Eveyone on OC3D says MSI is the best but I dont like the colour if MSI, I really like the looks of the sabertooth

Well I know I will never purchase an Asus motherboard again. Their customer service is horrible. 1 day under 2 weeks to get back with an RMA number for a P8Z77-Premium motherboard, when they state after 48 hrs it will get bumped to the highest priority. Then after I send it back to them they state the onboard damage to the pins is going to cost me $120 plus shipping, which was not done by me. It was either done in shipping to Newegg or by Newegg being they didn't want to replace the board. The shipper won't insure the package that was sent back insured. Newegg wouln't do anything other than ship the board back without pictures or anything other than an email. Asus's customer rep sends me an email asking a bunch of questions and does nothing to help, doesn't even respond to my emails. They also have in their repair form that you can't do a charge back against them if the board comes back to you defective again. You have to work with them and the board now has a 90 day warranty. Well I crossed that line out and sent the form back to them.

Now, this wouldn't bother me so much if this wasn't the second board issue I have had with Asus. My Rampage III Extreme had issues and I sent it back to them also only to get it back with a bios in it that you can't update. When you try to install any bios in it you are told it is the wrong bios for the motherboard. Asus also doesn't respond to any emails about this or requests about this issue.

I am done with this company and their selling the overpriced products and don't bother supporting the customer attitude.

Solution

XtremephysX

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

I totally agree, they fill their motherboards with piles of USELESS features which makes them extremely expensive.
MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower has no useless features, it is a powerful, reliable and durable motherboard, will buy that!!!

cestessr

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
ASRrock works great oc to 4.7 one click ,2pci express 3.0 x16 running 2 MSI D 7950s GDDR5 3d Mar11 scores over 15,000 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4734423 cust. service is great. I would suggest water cooling for OC like corsair h100.Ihave had Asus Gigabyte an MSI mobos in the past but nne compare with ASRock Extreme 6 . I hear the OC formula board overclocks even better good luck