Monitor Won't Display Anything

terra_incognita

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
System:
Sceptre 19in LCD monitor (with VGA and DVI inputs).
Radeon HD6950 2GB
Asus P67 Extreme4 motherboard
SAMSUNG 1TB 7200 RPM hdd
G.SKILL 2x4GB memory
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
RAIDMAX 850W ATX12V power supply

I've just put together a system at home and when I turn on the power the monitor won't display anything.

The graphics card seems to be in working order (fans are running, at the very least), and as far as I can tell everything else is working as well. My motherboard has no LEDs to confirm everything is well, aside from a "Dr. Debug," which doesn't light up. I had the suspicion that possibly the motherboard wasn't receiving power, but if the power button on the front panel turns the system on, then this should not be the case, right?

The Radeon 6950 has a DVI connection but the only cable I've got at the moment is a VGA cable with a DVI to VGA attachment on the end. With this I am able to plug both ends into the VGA input on my monitor and the DVI output on the graphics card. Finally, my monitor does indeed work, as when I attach it to my laptop (with a VGA output, unlike the Radeon 6950) it runs smoothly. When I connect the monitor to the new PC, the monitor powers up but shows the 'no connection' icon and then simply goes blank in standard power saving mode.

Any ideas on what I can do to remedy this?

Thanks so much, guys.

Solution
Hi, you do have all the necessary power cables firmly in the 6950... ? (I forgot that once, felt silly)

The adapters that convert DVI to VGA by switching the pins around are not standard. if the "cable I've got at the moment is a VGA cable with a DVI to VGA attachment on the end. " is not using the adapter that came with the 6950 then switch cables and use the 6950's adapter.

re: "A 6950 2GB with a 19" monitor? Really?" OH YES! bring it.

Also, this is a good ref. Note especially beep codes. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

p.s. Doesn't everyone have an old PC that can donate a video card or a friend with an old video card you can borrow to swap in instead of the 6950 ?

Hi, you do have all the necessary power cables firmly in the 6950... ? (I forgot that once, felt silly)

The adapters that convert DVI to VGA by switching the pins around are not standard. if the "cable I've got at the moment is a VGA cable with a DVI to VGA attachment on the end. " is not using the adapter that came with the 6950 then switch cables and use the 6950's adapter.

re: "A 6950 2GB with a 19" monitor? Really?" OH YES! bring it.

Also, this is a good ref. Note especially beep codes. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

p.s. Doesn't everyone have an old PC that can donate a video card or a friend with an old video card you can borrow to swap in instead of the 6950 ?

Solution

terra_incognita

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks for the advice. Turns out it was unrelated to the GPU or the monitor; was instead a careless oversight with connecting right power cables. tsnor, that reference was awesome, thanks!

And yah yah yah, my monitor is small. It aint the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean. Now while that isn't true, I'm broke now, so I'm stickin to it..