Sign in with
Your question

Which PCI-E 1x: sound or network adapter?

Last response: in Components
December 10, 2011 8:59:25 PM

So now that I have a dual slot GPU (just installed 6970) I no longer have access to one of my PCI slots. I do however have 2 unused PCI-E 1x slots above the video card I could use. My issue is I have two PCI devices that I would like to retain the use of, so I'm going to need to upgrade one of them to PCI-E 1x. The two comppnents are:

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
D-LINK DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adaptor

Pretty Xtreme huh?

Which one is worth upgrading? I'm well aware that the improved bus speed won't mean anything since the bandwidth at PCI is more than enough for either of these two peripherals. I was muling over getting one or the other of these:

D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter - $46.43
Creative PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Sound Card - $59.99

I really don't want to spend more than $60 on this, especially since I was totally satisfied with the functionality of my current setups. Is the upgrade in sound card worth another $13.56? I ask you audiophiles. Because I haven't shopped for these kinds of parts since 2007! I game and listen to music. BF3 and SWTOR in a few days.

Thanks guys.

Also, which one of my current parts has the most value? Could I resell the XtremeGamer for $13.56 more than I could sell my current wireless card?
December 10, 2011 9:55:58 PM

I would use the wireless card. and try using the onboard sound at then make a decision on the sound card. You are more likely to get money for the sound card.
m
l
December 11, 2011 5:46:53 AM

WHat about these new Recon3D cards, are they a justifiable upgrade?

What about something like this instead of an internal card, would there be any benefit or loss in performance?
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2011 10:57:15 AM

What kind of speakers are you hooking up to the sound card? I could not open your link above.
m
l
December 11, 2011 7:56:29 PM

cwell1337 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..."

That was the link.

I have a meh 2.1 30watt system. I use headphones most of the time, they're a set of Razer gaming headphones.

It would work!
I am pretty sure you don't here a difference between the onboard HD and the card in meh 2.1 speakers, but have you tried the headset on the onboard?
m
l
!