Computer only boots on its side

Hello glorious Tom's community! Just finished a new build; but the computer will only boot when it's on its side. Once it boots on its side, I can stand it up and it performs flawlessly. I've done some research, and I've come up with a couple of sources to the problem:

1. There is a loose screw banging around behind the mobo (I highly doubt it, I've looked and I can't hear anything).
2. The CPU isn't seated correctly. (I'm a little wary of popping it out and re-seating it; having $320 dollars worth of CPU in my hand scares me)
3. The power cords from my PSU could be kinked in a way when the computer is upright that limits power to the mobo/components.
4. I'm running 2 Radeon 5870's in CrossFire, which I'm told could be slipping out of the PCIxE slots; i.e. something weight related?

Does anyone have any input on what this problem could be? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions at all; this problem is extremely annoying. I'd like some feedback before I try to re-seat the CPU or mess with any wiring. Thanks in advance!

Here are my PC specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS
CORSAIR 1200 Watt Modular PSU
ASUS Intel Z68 P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard
i7-2600 Sandy Bridge CPU
Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM
2 x Radeon 5870's in CrossFire
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Samsung 1TB 7200 RPM Hdrive
9 answers Last reply
More about computer boots side
  1. to solve the vid card problem, try connecting the monitor only to the mobo VGA/HDMI port

as for the CPU just try to see if moves a bit when wiggle it by hand, it should not move at all if you did it right

a loose screw shouldn't stop it from starting up when the tower is standing.
  2. I'll try both of those right now, thanks!
  3. What are the symptoms of booting standing upright? However it fails, use this ref to debug. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

I'd be afraid of running the system that way long term without finding/fixing the problem. If its a short in PSU, wire pinched by MB, etc. then when it finally hits you it could take a lot of parts with it.
  4. Alright, it's a CPU problem. One of the connecters that snaps the heatsink/fan into place on the i7 won't properly snap in. I messed with it for a while and I think I got it snapped in all the way, but when I boot now it says that my CPU temp is overheating, and just shuts down.
  5. is the fan still running on the CPU?

if not you may have accidently broken something, in which case you may have to get a new heatsink/fan
  6. Yeah the fan is still running. I just reapplied some thermal paste and locked in the fan/heatsink. It feels secure, but I keep getting the CPU temp overheated error. It says it's at 97 degrees F.
  7. 97 F is like 37 C which is not high at all......you may need to reset the CMOS
  8. I must have read it wrong, I guess it was 97C, which is like 206F. Very very hot. I had to reapply the thermal past a third time; I guess I used too much the 2nd time. After reapplying 3 times, i made sure all 4 of the heatsink clickers were snapped in, and it now boots standing up. An insanely hectic and stressful day, thank you for your help!
  9. no problem!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems