Sign in with
Your question

Computer only boots on its side

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2011 8:06:32 PM

Hello glorious Tom's community! Just finished a new build; but the computer will only boot when it's on its side. Once it boots on its side, I can stand it up and it performs flawlessly. I've done some research, and I've come up with a couple of sources to the problem:

1. There is a loose screw banging around behind the mobo (I highly doubt it, I've looked and I can't hear anything).
2. The CPU isn't seated correctly. (I'm a little wary of popping it out and re-seating it; having $320 dollars worth of CPU in my hand scares me)
3. The power cords from my PSU could be kinked in a way when the computer is upright that limits power to the mobo/components.
4. I'm running 2 Radeon 5870's in CrossFire, which I'm told could be slipping out of the PCIxE slots; i.e. something weight related?

Does anyone have any input on what this problem could be? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions at all; this problem is extremely annoying. I'd like some feedback before I try to re-seat the CPU or mess with any wiring. Thanks in advance!

Here are my PC specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS
CORSAIR 1200 Watt Modular PSU
ASUS Intel Z68 P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard
i7-2600 Sandy Bridge CPU
Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM
2 x Radeon 5870's in CrossFire
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Samsung 1TB 7200 RPM Hdrive

More about : computer boots side

September 10, 2011 8:29:55 PM

to solve the vid card problem, try connecting the monitor only to the mobo VGA/HDMI port

as for the CPU just try to see if moves a bit when wiggle it by hand, it should not move at all if you did it right

a loose screw shouldn't stop it from starting up when the tower is standing.
m
l
September 10, 2011 8:31:50 PM

I'll try both of those right now, thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2011 8:49:46 PM

What are the symptoms of booting standing upright? However it fails, use this ref to debug. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I'd be afraid of running the system that way long term without finding/fixing the problem. If its a short in PSU, wire pinched by MB, etc. then when it finally hits you it could take a lot of parts with it.
m
l
September 10, 2011 9:45:04 PM

Alright, it's a CPU problem. One of the connecters that snaps the heatsink/fan into place on the i7 won't properly snap in. I messed with it for a while and I think I got it snapped in all the way, but when I boot now it says that my CPU temp is overheating, and just shuts down.
m
l
September 10, 2011 11:09:13 PM

is the fan still running on the CPU?

if not you may have accidently broken something, in which case you may have to get a new heatsink/fan
m
l
September 10, 2011 11:22:48 PM

Yeah the fan is still running. I just reapplied some thermal paste and locked in the fan/heatsink. It feels secure, but I keep getting the CPU temp overheated error. It says it's at 97 degrees F.
m
l
September 11, 2011 1:08:33 AM

97 F is like 37 C which is not high at all......you may need to reset the CMOS
m
l
September 11, 2011 1:17:41 AM

I must have read it wrong, I guess it was 97C, which is like 206F. Very very hot. I had to reapply the thermal past a third time; I guess I used too much the 2nd time. After reapplying 3 times, i made sure all 4 of the heatsink clickers were snapped in, and it now boots standing up. An insanely hectic and stressful day, thank you for your help!
m
l
September 11, 2011 3:31:46 AM

no problem!
m
l
!