Closed Solved

Reference Design Cards

Is there an easy way to identify reference design models of video cards? I am specifically looking for a pair of HD 6950s.

Am I going to end up paying more than ~$330 for one? Because I've found a 6970 for that much.

Thanks.

edit: The purpose of this is to flash the BIOS to a 6970, if that was not obvious. :)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reference design cards
  1. Also, I read that overclocking is less successful if you unlock a 6950 to a 6970. Is this true? I read it here. It is the 2nd post(5th overall) by "reddie007".
  2. Best answer
    At this point in time its pretty much better to just buy the 6970. The prices of any flashable 6950s have made it rather pointless to go that route. I think you can get the MSI hawk something 3. It isn't flashable, but MSI wrote a special bios that basically does the same thing.
  3. 4745454b said:
    At this point in time its pretty much better to just buy the 6970. The prices of any flashable 6950s have made it rather pointless to go that route. I think you can get the MSI hawk something 3. It isn't flashable, but MSI wrote a special bios that basically does the same thing.

Yeah I was planning on buying 6970s when I read about unlockable 6950s. Will the next generation(7xxx) have unlockable reference cards? Is that a regular happening when a new card comes out?
  4. Not regular, but not unheard of either. I wouldn't plan on it however.
  5. Best answer selected by timothy2180.
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product