Birthday PC Build for Battlefield 3

Hey everyone I was wondering if you all wil help me out on building a PC for my birthday next week. I mainly want to play Battlefield 3 on Ultra.

Approximate Purchase Date: in a week or two


Budget Range: Around $800 max!


System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming (BATTLEFIELD 3 on Ultra)


Parts Not Required: GTX 460 (If its necessary im willing to update my graphics card)


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com


Country of Origin: United States


Overclocking: Not very interested


SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Was also thinking about maybe just buying a pre built one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1102736&Sku=SYX-1107

Any suggestions guys?
27 answers Last reply
More about birthday build battlefield
  1. You are not going to run BF3 on ultra settings with that video card at that resolution. Best advice I can give you is to add another one of those gtx 460's later on for SLI. This build includes Windows 7.

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-KKN1/dp/B003ZM7YTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315689575&sr=1-1 $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048 $79.99
    Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502 $121.99 FREE SHIPPING
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.723046 $304.98 FREE SHIPPING
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148419 $29.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664BA160A

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.696136 $72.48
    Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM
    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113023 $139.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Gateway FHX2152Lbd Black 21.5" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 1000:1

    Total: $669.42

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=pd_cp_e_1 $29.07 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
  2. Thanks for the advice but what do you think about the link about the prebuilt computer? The prebuilt has an intel core i7 and its only $700. What do you think?


    Ohhh and I also have the monitor so subtract $140!

    And if i get another gtx 460 with and do sli will i be able to ultra then?
  3. Yes you would.
    Don't go for prebuilts. You wouldn't even the i7 and even then, prebuilts are terrible for an upgrade path. The builders stick s*** PSUs in them which restrict the SLI option and some stick terrible motherboards that don't offer another PCI-E 16x 2.0 slot or if there is another one it'll only run it in 16x/4x. As for the build Why_Me suggested. It's a great build. If you don't need the monitor just use the $140 to get another 460.

    With that said save some money on the PSU.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
    And get this 460
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518
    Quick question which model is your 460? It's best to get the same one, this one is slightly OC'd stock-wise and runs cooler but if you have one that isn't or is at a lower clock. This one will downclock to the slower one.
  4. Fullmetalx said:
    Thanks for the advice but what do you think about the link about the prebuilt computer? The prebuilt has an intel core i7 and its only $700. What do you think?


    Ohhh and I also have the monitor so subtract $140!

    And if i get another gtx 460 with and do sli will i be able to ultra then?

    That pc has a mATX motherboard and apparently no psu seeing how it doesn't state anything about a psu on that link.
  5. aznshinobi said:
    Yes you would.
    Don't go for prebuilts. You wouldn't even the i7 and even then, prebuilts are terrible for an upgrade path. The builders stick s*** PSUs in them which restrict the SLI option and some stick terrible motherboards that don't offer another PCI-E 16x 2.0 slot or if there is another one it'll only run it in 16x/4x. As for the build Why_Me suggested. It's a great build. If you don't need the monitor just use the $140 to get another 460.

    With that said save some money on the PSU.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
    And get this 460
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518
    Quick question which model is your 460? It's best to get the same one, this one is slightly OC'd stock-wise and runs cooler but if you have one that isn't or is at a lower clock. This one will downclock to the slower one.


    Im not sure what model number it is but it galaxy geforce gtx 460 (768 mb). Im okay wth just going with full upgrade and get a 560 or something since its only about $40 more.

    I also thought about maybe just getting a computer from ibuypower.com but those are very expensive.

    Im just very confused im not sure what to get or exactly what i want lol? Any advice?
  6. prebuilts are crap, but if you want to waste your money then go ahead, I'd sell your current 460 thus upping your budget and get a single 560 (ti) or 570
  7. alright thanks guys for everything. What single graphic card will likely be able to tun battlefield 3 on ultra? A 6970? 6950?
  8. for a single card id get a gtx 560ti or 6950 as a minimum playing bf3 @1080p
  9. The 560 Ti or 6950 2GB could probably run BF3 at medium. I wouldn't give any card like the 560 Ti or 6950 2GB to run on the absolute maximum settings when the full game comes out. Especially since EA said that the Alpha didn't have all the graphical options Beta and the finished game would have.
  10. I would skip the pre built i7 2600 that is not unlocked. You are going to game so just go with a 2500k. I will say it is kinda hard to say what card to get cause there is no benchmarks for the game cause it has not been released. Maybe get another 460 and sli.
  11. aznshinobi said:
    The 560 Ti or 6950 2GB could probably run BF3 at medium. I wouldn't give any card like the 560 Ti or 6950 2GB to run on the absolute maximum settings when the full game comes out. Especially since EA said that the Alpha didn't have all the graphical options Beta and the finished game would have.



    yeah we will see personally I see the game being much more demanding on the cpu end of things then its projected demand on gpu

    560ti or 6950 should at least be able to do medium at 1080p
  12. 6950 would do it Ultra I think.
    I have a 5770 and I run it 1080p Medium settings easily.
    I can run high too, and my GPU is underclocked because it's sort of broken.
    So really, a 5870 would possibly even run it.
    I'm using BF3 Beta by the way.
  13. SLI 460s SHOULD be able to run the game very well, better than a single 560 or 570 will, i'm sure.
  14. ^ I highly doubt that we will see

    imho 6950 crossfire and 460 sli should crush the final version
  15. you will not know until the full version is released, grpahics could get more demanding but drivers could also be optimized, so there is no telling what the true game will require to max out... there is no way in hell that 2 580s would not crush the final game imo

    it should be fairly demanding but cmon its not metro
  16. Quote:
    If two 580s are struggling to "crush" it I can only imagine how hard of a time two 460s will have :p

    what? how do you know that 2 580's are struggling? the trailer was played with a single 580.
    the 460's will be close to maxing it out.
  17. i have a single 560 ti and for the beta it works great.
  18. Quote:
    as does a one of my twin frozr III 6950s, two is even better but go to caspian borders right now and tell me you aren't having to drop settings to be able to stay above 30fps lol..

    how do i drop settings. i cant find it again
  19. Again, on Medium settings, I get 30FPS on Caspian borders on my underclocked 5770.
    I don't see what all of your problems are.
    I'm gonna buy an MSI 6850 OC Cyclone edition soon though.
  20. But I'm saying, 30FPS on 1080p with a $90 underclocked GPU is pretty good.
    So if you spend $200 you'll easily get good FPS.
  21. So I'd say keep the 460 and sli it now or later, no point wasting a pretty good GPU, this will mean probably a 650W PSU and a decent case
  22. You guys keep talking about how amazingly demanding the game is going to be, you probably wont see the difference between similar cards, just enjoy the game doods
  23. Quote:
    as does a one of my twin frozr III 6950s, two is even better but go to caspian borders right now and tell me you aren't having to drop settings to be able to stay above 30fps lol..



    true but for me it seems to go no lower thatn 39fps with my TI oc'ed to 1 ghz core :)
  24. im_caius said:
    Again, on Medium settings, I get 30FPS on Caspian borders on my underclocked 5770.
    I don't see what all of your problems are.
    I'm gonna buy an MSI 6850 OC Cyclone edition soon though.



    dumb upgrade, go for more balls
  25. ill take a look and get back to you on that one, overall there is no doubt in my mind that I will want more cpu/gpu power to run this game when I have money to upgrade :)
  26. Yeah, I'm thinking I might get a Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB instead.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Battlefield Systems Product