Sign in with
Your question

Building now - mobo powers on, then turns off immediately

Last response: in Motherboards
September 20, 2012 12:58:21 AM

In the process of building now. Hooked up everything to the motherboard -- CPU, heatsink, RAM, and GPU. Motherboard powers (LED lights turn on on the board, fans spin) and then immediately shuts off. I've gone through the mobo checklist (sticky) and still can't get this darn thing to run. Is it the RAM? CPU? What's the issue?

SPECS:
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
HEATSINK: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB Dual channel DDR3 PC1600
PSU: Corsair 600w Gaming Series PSU
GPU: nVidia GTX 670 (Gigabyte)
MOBO: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H
September 20, 2012 1:37:37 AM

Any help would be appreciated!!
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:20:18 AM

I went ahead and disconnected everything from the motherboard... and attempted to power it on (just to see if the motherboard would stay on). Sure enough, it stays on for about a second, then immediately turns off. It then continues to cycle on and off. The only thing I have connected is the CPU....

I guess I may end up picking up a new PSU and/or motherboard...
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 6:05:56 AM

im having the same problem.

only thing i can think of is i damaged the cpu putting on the heatsink (too hard or not enough AS5)

or the motherboard is faulty

or the psu is faulty

so in other words...IM LOST
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 6:45:39 AM

8 Pin CPU Power plugged in correctly!?
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:06:32 AM

haha no i didnt.

now it works

THANKS
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:52:21 PM

Yep - I plugged in the supplemental CPU power connector (8-pin). Also connected the 24(?) pin connector to power on the motherboard.

While installing the heatsink, I had to put down quite a bit of pressure on the middle piece of metal (beneath the heatsink, but above the pipes) so that the screws could reach (to be screwed in screwly).

Do you think I may have damaged the CPU? If I did, is there any way to confirm this?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 5:00:54 PM

Make sure you installed the CPU cooler correctly, when I was installing mine I was having trouble getting the screws close enough, but it was because I had the brackets upside down (they looked the same way in the pictures)! Also, did you put in standoffs?

I would say its unlikely you damaged the CPU, you can take it out and look for any obvious signs of damage to it, what you may have damaged is the pins inside the CPU socket. You can inspect those for damage as well by removing the PSU and such. Make sure you have the standoffs though before you disassemble because that could certainly be an issue.
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:04:22 PM

Sounds like either a cable isn't plugged in somewhere or a bad PSU. Have you tried the paper clip test on the PSU?
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:20:37 PM

Before we proceed further... I should probably admit I DID pick up the mobo from Amazon Warehouse Deals (usually repackaged and/or used) - same goes with the RAM.

Anyhow, I don't see any indication of damage... although I'm not sure what to look for (bent pins I'm assuming?). Also, I went ahead and installed the stock CPU cooler JUST to see if maybe I didn't install the aftermarket heatsink correctly. Still getting the same issue. By the way, I did install the standoffs and the metal piece beneath the mobo -- it still took a lot of pressure to get the screws close enough to the standoffs so that I could screw them in.

Here's exactly how I set up my test boot:
1) Installed CPU
2) Applied thermal paste to the top of the CPU
3) Installed Cooler Master 212 EVO heatsink (had to use a good bit of pressure to screw it into the standoffs)
4) Installed 2 sticks of 8GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance low-profile RAM (slot 2 and 4)
5) Plugged GTX 670 GPU into PCI-e 3.0 (nice and snug)
6) Plugged in power connectors (2 6-pins into the GPU, the 8-pin into the supplemental CPU power, 24 pin into main mobo power socket)
7) Turned on the CPU
8) Hit the power button on the motherboard

-- fires up, turns off a second or two later - repeats itself every few seconds in a never ending loop!

I appreciate the help and advice in advance guys. This is my first time building and I'm really freaking out I may have torched something!!
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:24:59 PM

akopp21 said:
Sounds like either a cable isn't plugged in somewhere or a bad PSU. Have you tried the paper clip test on the PSU?

I plugged in the CPU supplemental power connector (8-pin), the main motherboard power connector (24-pin) and the two 6-pin connectors into the GPU (including the small 2-pin adapter<?>). Is there another cable I should be plugging in? I read through the motherboard manual, but it basically includes instructions for connecting EVERYTHING at once and mounting it into the motherboard before turning it on. I'm just looking for the bare essentials to ensure I have all working components!
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:36:09 PM

I don't know if this is against the rules or not, but if someone wanted to call me and help me walk through this, I'd be more than happy to send you $30-40 via PayPal. I'm really eager to get this thing up and running. I was a little cocky pre-build... and picked up Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2.. now they're just sitting here staring at me, lol
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:36:45 PM

Is the motherboard screwed on directly to the case or did you install all the proper spacer screws.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 5:42:27 PM

Well try your RAM in slots 1 and 3 and make sure they are properly seated.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 5:47:50 PM

Can you also post what the exact model of your RAM is? I could not find the SKU of my first 2 tries on the Gigabyte QVL, and the fact that the list contains lots of Corsair RAM may indicate your model is specifically not supported :/ . Do you have any other RAM you could try?

Also, you made sure a fan is plugged into the CPU fan slot? There has to be one in there or it won't like it.
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:01:43 PM

chugot9218 said:
Can you also post what the exact model of your RAM is? I could not find the SKU of my first 2 tries on the Gigabyte QVL, and the fact that the list contains lots of Corsair RAM may indicate your model is specifically not supported :/ . Do you have any other RAM you could try?

Also, you made sure a fan is plugged into the CPU fan slot? There has to be one in there or it won't like it.

I do have the CPU fan hooked up.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9

Is this compatible? It'd be nice to hear that this isn't... at least I'd know what's wrong!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 6:07:23 PM

I do not see that specific model on the QVL for any capacity, you can take a look yourself here if you want: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

Just because your RAM isn't on the list does not mean it will not work, just that it has not been tested. I would again try it in the other slots and see what happens, and ideally if you can, try some other RAM. At least then we could rule that out as a problem.
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:15:47 PM

That's odd. I'm on a much older PC right now - I'll just go ahead and pick up a new pair of RAM on that list. We'll see what happens from there! :) 

BTW, I've tried each stick of RAM, one at a time, in different slots and still get the same results.

Thanks for the help Chugot9218. I'll update this thread once I test out the new RAM. :) 
m
l
!