Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stuck between Asrock and a hard place - 1555 or AM3+ platform upgrade

Last response: in Systems
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2011 11:32:48 PM

So, in 2 weeks i plan on doing a platform upgrade for gaming, for current specs see my sig. I'll be upgrading motherboard/cpu/ram and hard drive and will be getting my parts from here http://www.msy.com.au and need to keep under $400, i would like a crossfire capable motherboard at least 8x/8x. They only really have Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte motherboards available unfortunately. Im not fussed at all about multitasking and other apps, even my current setip is fine for that, its purely a gaming upgrade.

2 possible builds:
Phenom x4 955 $119 + AsRock 970-Extreme4 AMD 970 $113 + G.Skill Sniper 8G Kit DDR3 1600 $62 + WD blue 1TB HDD $57 + coolermaster hyper212+ $ 32 = $383

Core i3 2100 $117 + AsRock Z68-Extreme3-Gen3 $140 + G.Skill Sniper 8G Kit DDR3 1600 $62 + WD blue 1TB HDD $57 = 376

For the phenom 955 to be competitive with the i3 in gaming it needs to be overclocked, so i will need the aftermarket cooler. I am leaning toward the 1555 setup as i KNOW Intel's ivy bridge will be a good update in the future. I have looked at Gigabyte motherboards which are good value, but the lack of UEFI doesn't sound good, i have read their BIOS menu is slow and clunky.

The big question is, what would you do? bank on Bulldozer being any good for gaming for future upgrades? or go with something that i can drop in an IVY Bridge CPU later?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 90 V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 2:49:52 AM

of the two the x4 phenon is a more usable system . The quad will make a difference in everyday use and outperform the i3 2100.

But building one or the other is a coin toss . Id wait for BD .They are already shipping 16 core server chips , so desktop models must be only a few weeks away .
After we see a few benchmarks hopefully things will be clearer

As for updating to ivy bridge ... I know intel have said they will be socket 1155 but will they run on boards with current chipsets? Maybe someone can confirm that for us
http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21621-ivy-bridg...
says you CANT upgrade to IB
Not the first time intel have been so disrespectful to their fans , and not th last unless the fanboys develop some brains
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 3:05:30 AM

They say that Ivy Bridge will only require a BIOS update, but if that article is true, I wonder if there will be some functionality loss. It would kind of make the ASRock Gen3 boards moot...
m
l
Related resources
a c 90 V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 5:56:33 AM

Remember a few months back when intel released the original P67 chipset ... and then found out the SATA controller would burn out ?

Whats to say theyre now discovering that IB wont run on P67 and Z68 chipsets because it requires better current or voltage control. No one can actually predict this before the cpu is manufactured , so its a mistake to believe the marketing hype on the motherboard page .

After all pci-e 3.0 is meaningless when all sandybridge processors run graphics cards at HALF the speed of the pci-e 2.0 standard when in crossfire or SLI , and it doesnt slow them down
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 6:09:13 AM

Outlander_04 said:

After all pci-e 3.0 is meaningless when all sandybridge processors run graphics cards at HALF the speed of the pci-e 2.0 standard when in crossfire or SLI , and it doesnt slow them down

If only they had consumer SSDs that could take advantage of PCI-E 3.0...if only, if only ;) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 10:32:35 AM

well i still have a couple weeks, will see if there are any price drops or new motherboard releases. I'm not concearned about the speed of PCIe 3, more that it verifies that an ivy bridge chip can be used in the board, they would get in a lot of trouble for false advertising if it turned out it was not compatable.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 4:52:14 PM

Well Intel's been saying that current chipsets will support IB, so I'd be surprised if they didn't TBH.
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 11:01:15 PM

I did some reading and it seems like you must have UEFI and that it must be re-flashed to support IB, but there are likely to be IB cpu's that fit in 1555 and the higher end models in LGA2011
m
l
a c 90 V Motherboard
September 12, 2011 2:34:48 AM

boiler1990 said:
Well Intel's been saying that current chipsets will support IB, so I'd be surprised if they didn't TBH.

AMD have been in a situation recently whee all 8xxseries chipstes can support Bulldozer , but the power spec of motherboards cant .
The difference between a 8xx chipset and a 9xx chipset for AMD is not the chipset which is identical , but the power specification the board is built for

Intel saying their chipsets support IB is meaningless. They could only have been guessing how a 22 nm transistor would behave when they made those announcements .
I dont think its a done deal that current boards will run IB processors when they are available
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 1:26:14 AM

i waited for bulldozer and it sucked. I have waited so long I may as well wait for Ivy.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 1:26:41 AM

Best answer selected by iam2thecrowe.
m
l
!