Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FPS spike, stutter even with NEW graphics card?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 11, 2011 2:17:53 AM

Okay well I recently built a new system since I couldn't play the games I wanted to with my old one.

The specs are:

AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE @3.5ghz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
520c 520w Antec Neo Eco PSU (theres 40A on the 12v)
ASRock 970 extreme3 motherboard
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM

and when I play APB Reloaded, my game gets all choppy. I checked the fps for it, and whenever I lagg, my FPS spikes down and therefore it laggs. I mean wth? Why does that happen? It stutters and it's really annoying and shouldn't be happening with a system like that.

Some people say CPU causes FPS spikes, but my CPU usage never goes over like 30-40%.
As for RAM, my RAM usage is like 50% and thats normal for that game.

I thought it was the graphics card, so I went out and bought an even BETTER graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 560 ti ) and that still didn't fix the problem. Heck, now I even get lines going up and down the screen with the 560ti. Yes I installed the latest drivers for BOTH the cards.

I THINK it MIGHT be the power supply, but people said that that power supply is more than enough and people said they even ran their 560ti on a 450w PSU.

I have mouse lagg on APB Reloaded and Dragon Nest. Also, this game GunZ, even with the new 560 ti, the FPS still didn't change and is spiking as well. The 560ti is supposed to be a better card than the 6850, so why didn't the fps change?

The FPS didn't change either with the other games.

Please help guys...this is really annoying me and making me sad..I wasted a lot of money on this.

What do I doooooooooooooo :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( 
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 3:13:06 AM

1. you installed the drivers for both cards... one at a time my friend

2. apb reloaded is laggy for just about everyone
a c 111 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 3:16:36 AM

overclock the phenom more? I've never played apb on my system yet so i assume the guy above me is correct.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 6:12:28 AM

amuffin said:
overclock the phenom more? I've never played apb on my system yet so i assume the guy above me is correct.


ive had basicly whole clans ive been in claim it lags, worse with turning cars, its horendous

basicly is your problem in the crowded streets full of disregarded cars?
a c 111 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 7:27:24 AM

nna2 said:
ive had basicly whole clans ive been in claim it lags, worse with turning cars, its horendous

basicly is your problem in the crowded streets full of disregarded cars?

Hm i just downloaded apb ill see how it runs on my system.
December 11, 2011 11:07:22 PM

Why would I need to overclock my cpu? It's 3.5ghz stock.
And, @ the guy who said one at a time, I meant i cleaned the drivers before installing the other one.

Btw, I just bought a new hard drive, and the problem is still there, so it's not the hard drive.

My FPS just like...goes down usually when I'm driving, I THINK it has something to do with the real-time environment and the loading of stuff, but everyone I talk to that plays the game says it doesn't happen to them.

I replaced the graphics card, hard drive, and I can't really think of anything else because my cpu usage is the same as anyone else I asked that plays apb.

Anyone else have any idea? ;/ I can't think of anything.
a c 111 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 12, 2011 12:05:10 AM

kandon said:
Why would I need to overclock my cpu? It's 3.5ghz stock.
And, @ the guy who said one at a time, I meant i cleaned the drivers before installing the other one.

Btw, I just bought a new hard drive, and the problem is still there, so it's not the hard drive.

My FPS just like...goes down usually when I'm driving, I THINK it has something to do with the real-time environment and the loading of stuff, but everyone I talk to that plays the game says it doesn't happen to them.

I replaced the graphics card, hard drive, and I can't really think of anything else because my cpu usage is the same as anyone else I asked that plays apb.

Anyone else have any idea? ;/ I can't think of anything.

If the game is cpu intensive then overclock. Im going to try out apb right now on my system and see how it runs I will get back to you as soon as possible.
a c 111 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 12, 2011 1:38:40 AM

Game runs at 60+fps um idk whats your problem, maybe video card drivers?
December 13, 2011 6:43:31 PM

@amuffin

Like I said I installed both an Nvidia and AMD graphics card (HD 6850 and 560 tI) and updated both their drivers (yes i cleaned the other's drivers before) and nothing changed.

But thanks for going through the trouble of downloading it lol.
!