Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hello,
I'd like recommendations for a good motherboard for the following system:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz;
Ram: 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2;
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (HIS HD 7970);
Power Supply: Corsair TX750 V2.

I used to have a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L (Socket 775) but then it got tired of working properly apparently.

Thanks for your time.

Solution
The only thing that is sort of bogging you down right now as far as upgrading your system and keeping it a viable option for upcoming products is the processor. This is simply because the socket is "sort of" outdated. There are still motherboards you can find for sub 100 dollars that have the socket 775, but I would recommend upgrading the CPU and motherboard both. If you are on a budget and just want to upgrade your motherboard (which I don't recommend just doing because it looks like you have a pretty graphics orientated setup, and you never know when the CPU will bottleneck the GPU), then this one, the ASRock G31M-S http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157173 will probably work. It has a max support of 8 Gb of...

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
The only thing that is sort of bogging you down right now as far as upgrading your system and keeping it a viable option for upcoming products is the processor. This is simply because the socket is "sort of" outdated. There are still motherboards you can find for sub 100 dollars that have the socket 775, but I would recommend upgrading the CPU and motherboard both. If you are on a budget and just want to upgrade your motherboard (which I don't recommend just doing because it looks like you have a pretty graphics orientated setup, and you never know when the CPU will bottleneck the GPU), then this one, the ASRock G31M-S http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157173 will probably work. It has a max support of 8 Gb of DDR2 RAM, Hyperthreading, and a fair number of rear I/O ports.

However, I would definitely recommend to upgrading to a more flexible system with the 1155 socket and the Z68 or Z77 series motherboards. The i-series processors that will run decently well with the powerful video card you have right now hover around $200. Visit newegg and see if you like any!

Solution