Sign in with
Your question

What do you guys think of raidmax?

Last response: in Components
a c 111 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 3:10:44 AM

I've heard it to be a bad company from some, however seeing the price of their products are making me tempted to buy something from them. What are your thoughts?

More about : guys raidmax

a c 276 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 3:15:21 AM

Their cheap power supplies are just that, cheap power supplies. If you use them to power a really low power system they may live on for 4 years, if you bring them close to their rated load on a regular basis they arent going to make it through the month. You get what you pay for, and if you buy a cheap aluminum box you get a cheap aluminum box, if you buy a decent power supply you get a decent power supply.

The only raidmax units i would even consider are their AE series, all of their other ones are significantly over rated, and many are still using passive PFC indicating designs that are several years old.
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 3:29:07 AM

For cases, they may be worth a try(on a budget, but with the price of the Antec 300, not sure I would).

Fully agree about the power supplies.
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 4:58:00 AM

Raidmax PSU's? Not too bad if you derate by 30% (consider a 500 watt PSU to be a mislabeled 350 watt PSU) and only use them in a low spec system.

Cases? Cases are a really individual choice.
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 5:20:54 AM

So $135 for a 1000w gold certified raidmax is crap?
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 2:46:04 PM

amuffin said:
So $135 for a 1000w gold certified raidmax is crap?

I can think of a couple of 1000W units from quality brands that cost @ the same amount.
I doubt that Raidmax unit can achieve Gold rating over 30C.
I could be wrong!but alot of lesser brand units get those efficiency ratings at 23C and never sustain them in real world applications.
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 3:52:29 PM

Raidmax like Rosewill has mostly been known over the years as the "cheap house brand". Both companies appear to be making strides and efforts to improve their image through better product designs. Personally, I wouldn't use either as yet but I'm no longer as critical of them as I once was given the better reviews they seem to be getting.
m
l
December 11, 2011 3:52:48 PM

$135 is pretty cheap for a quality 1000 watt PSU.
I would be very skeptical of the "gold" rating.
I have owned Raidmax units in the past, I don't have any of them anymore because the longest a Raidmax PSU ever lasted for me was about a year. The last one I had was a 630watt "Volcano" that was supposed to be a decent PSU, it died in about 6 months. I bought a Raidmax case once as well, it is several years old now, and it is literally falling apart. Rivets falling out, many of the plastic snap on parts are just breaking and falling off. Trying to put stuff in the case is tough because nothing seems to line up very well. I believe that their products are complete piles of crap, and I would never buy Raidmax anything again.
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 4:00:57 PM

Had one of their cases ones, was not good quality but usable. I do not rate PSU's the same way and would never buy Raidmax PSU!
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 4:20:29 PM

Raidmax is a member of the Chokemax family of PSUs. I've not seen one favorably reviewed yet, and I've seen others blow up at 75% of their rated load. Stick to Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 5:01:11 PM

davcon said:
I can think of a couple of 1000W units from quality brands that cost @ the same amount.
I doubt that Raidmax unit can achieve Gold rating over 30C.
I could be wrong!but alot of lesser brand units get those efficiency ratings at 23C and never sustain them in real world applications.

it can do 1000 watts all day no problem but cant do it with a gold rating its actually bronze

raidmax sent a different psu with the same model name to be certified but changed it for the retail versions that can only do bronze
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 6:07:32 PM

obsidian86 said:
it can do 1000 watts all day no problem but cant do it with a gold rating its actually bronze

raidmax sent a different psu with the same model name to be certified but changed it for the retail versions that can only do bronze

Hehe just as i suspected!
m
l
a c 1176 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 6:14:42 PM

That one-year warranty on that PSU looks to be useless especially when they state "Raidmax will not guarantee its products, under any normal wear and tear." So if it fails while you're using it within the one-year warranty period you're SOL.

http://www.raidmax.com/document/RAIDMAX_WARRANTY.pdf
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 6:20:34 PM

ko888 said:
That one-year warranty on that PSU looks to be useless especially when they state "Raidmax will not guarantee its products, under any normal wear and tear." So if it fails while you're using it within the one-year warranty period you're SOL.

http://www.raidmax.com/document/RAIDMAX_WARRANTY.pdf

Thanks for the 7 year warranty corsair :)  Ohh an a near silent power supply.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 6:40:06 PM

wouldn't touch radimax, wouldn't even get one if it got a good review. reviews dont test longevity, even if a radimax could produce its rated power it wont last long.
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 10:45:31 PM

Would you ever get a raidmax case or cpu cooler?
m
l
!