Sign in with
Your question

Strange HD4850 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2011 6:47:23 AM

Hello,
I purchased "PCI Express 2.0 x16: Radeon HD 4850" before about an year and a half, and few months ago the following problem appeared:
During 3D games, the screen freezing, turn to black for few seconds, game crashes, and I got the "Your driver has stopped responding but has recovered" message, or the pc stuck until restart.

That happened during following 3D games:
1- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
2- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
3- Fallout 3
4- Crysis
5- Crysis 2
The strange part is that this is NOT happening during benchmarks tests!
I run the following benchmarks and everything looks fine:
VGA "torture" tools:
-Ati tool (scan for artifacts button)
-FurMark (BURN-IN test button)
-3DMark Vantage
-VMT (VGA memmory test)

CPU and RAM tools:
prime95 (Torture test)
BurnInTest
StressMyPC
Memtest86+

No artifacts, no errors, everything seems to be fine!

I tried installing different drivers,on different OS's (window XP, windows7 x86,x64), and the problem remains.

I really have no idea what seems to be the problem.

This is my hardware running with the latest official drivers:
Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
Radeon HD4850
g.skill pc2-6400 (2*2G)
Silver Power 500W

p.s
I have many devices connected to my PC thru USB, like external HD , web-cam, Wireless USB adapter,Wireless keyboard, got 3 fans except the standard fans, so maybe the problem is my PSU, and 500W is not enough for all those things, but if so, then why did the PC succeeds in all the stress tests?
Anyway, I really don't know what to do, so please help!

More about : strange hd4850 problem

July 10, 2011 10:38:35 PM

this is the same exact problem i am having with the exact same card. i had another 4850 before and it broke, so geeksquad replaced it with a new card that does this.

The new card also runs 10 degrees hotter at idle (65), and hits 99 at max then blacks out
this only happens on graphics intensive programs.
m
l
July 11, 2011 12:43:50 AM

Yeah, I would guess that you may have heat issues. What sort of case do you have? Do you have fresh air being routed to your video card.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2011 1:13:14 AM

the computer is an unmodified gateway fx6800 01e, no fresh air, but the card before worked perfectly until it broke, so idk what the deal with it is.
m
l
July 11, 2011 1:22:17 AM

How about you, Slava? Case cooling?

@ Chewy, I am not surprised that you are having cooling issues. The HD4850 is a hot card, and quite powerful. Ensure that you are cleaning out the dust bunnies and maybe tie up some cables if they are messy. Its not hard at all to add some side air cooling, all ya really need is a 4 inch hole saw and a 120mm fan. If you don't have both a front intake fan and a backside exhaust fan on that gateway, you should add one, preferably a 120mm.
m
l
July 11, 2011 1:25:12 AM

My HD 4850 has a non-reference cooler with a 92mm fan and runs nice and cool. I chose this model because the reference coolers on the HD 4850 pretty much sucked. Still, I have to get in there once a month and blow out the fan and heatsink. You wouldn't guess how much something hanging upside down collects dust!
m
l
July 11, 2011 1:29:22 AM

but i had a 4850 before, that card never had a heat problem, but it broke. Geek squad replaced it with a new 4850, which is having the problem described. Case is clean and dustfree, when before it worked fine even without regular cleaning.
m
l
July 11, 2011 1:48:11 AM

chewy62 said:
but i had a 4850 before, that card never had a heat problem, but it broke. Geek squad replaced it with a new 4850, which is having the problem described. Case is clean and dustfree, when before it worked fine even without regular cleaning.

Have you tried adjusting the fan speed?
m
l
July 11, 2011 1:54:30 AM

yes, i never used to have to adjust fan speed, but now it needs to be set at 100% , otherwise it reaches 70 degrees at idle.
m
l
July 11, 2011 2:14:43 AM

chewy62 said:
yes, i never used to have to adjust fan speed, but now it needs to be set at 100% , otherwise it reaches 70 degrees at idle.

Crap! Sounds like another rma candidate to me. Either that or its not a bad time to upgrade...
m
l
July 11, 2011 2:18:54 AM

rma? and i started another thread on what i could put in my machine.
m
l
!