Graphical noise 6950

G

Hello people,
i have a 6950 and recently, i'v been noticing a lot of noise in the graphics.
see the pic for an example.
prntscrn.png

notice that the walls aren't one color, but there are all kinds of lighter spots on it. But that's not the problem, the problem is that those white spots jump all over the place when playing, like there is some sort of noise or something.
now i wonder, what causes this? it isn't there outside of games, just in 3d games.

since pic doesn't work, here is the link: http://imageshack.us/f/717/prntscrn.png/
Thx

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Its called artifacting. Usually happens when a video card is running too hot or when an overclock is not stable on a card.

Did you try to O.C. the card?
Download GPU-Z and look at the temperatures of the card while idle and while you are playing and come back to us with the results. Also, which 6950 do you have?

edit: btw you still can't see the pic in the link.

G

Hello,
I didn't OC the card, never did, and the temps are 70 C max (62C avarage i think), wich i believe isn't all that high for this card.
it's the Sapphire flex edition.
could the card be broken?

btw, i downloaded furmark too see how it would go, and with all setting enabled and ***, it gets really 'noisy' at the center of the image, i tried printscreening it but i can't, it turn out as a black screen but ok. anyway, i think this is artifacting too. max temp was 76 C btw.
so do you think this is a problem or is this normal?

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
The only other thing I can think of is that your PSU isn't providing enough power to your card.

Whats the make/model of your PSU?

Cards are designed to underclock in the event that it does not get the power it needs. If the psu is crap, then the card may not be getting the power, so while it is running at normal speeds/not over temping, you may not be getting the sufficient power making it technically be overclocked for what the psu is supply.

Ok that came out confusing lol

G

nah psu should be fine, corsair hx 850W
should i rma the card or not?

randomkid

Distinguished
^RMA it while you can. I have the Sapphire 6950 2GB Flex too & I never have any artifacting with any game ( finished Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Avatar-all mission, AVP-all mission & Prototype) in Eyefinity, even when I regularly boost the clock to 870Mhz via Trixx.

My setting in CCC:
AA - Use Application Setting
Morphological Setting - Disabled ( when enabled, my FPS drops to half ).
All other settings are default.