Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my RAM failing?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
September 20, 2012 5:58:17 AM

So, today I got a new CPU cooler so when I went to install it, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give my PC a good dusting so I took it apart piece by piece, and then when I put it all back together and booted up I got one of those black screens that said something along the lines of, "Windows can't load...a recent software or hardware change...yada yada yada" so I booted it in normal mode and it looped back to the message so I tried to repair it and the repair came back saying it couldn't find an error.

At this point I was so upset I just assumed it was windows screwing up so I put in the discs to re install windows 7...4 out of the 5 times i tried installing it, it would freeze at the "Expanding WIndows files" section...now I'm really mad by this point but that fifth time it got through it, so when it all loaded up I went to install my MOBO drivers and it kept freezing...then I tried doing a memory diagnostics test and it froze almost right at the beginning.

Does this sound like a memory problem? I don't want to buy new sticks unless I am sure...if not what else could be the culprit.

Thanks very much for the assistance.

More about : ram failing

a c 151 } Memory
September 20, 2012 6:41:24 AM

Your best bet is to take everything out and start over. Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere. RAM does not fail over time very often at all. If RAM is going to fail it will usually be when it's first used. It's to much of a concidence that you just added a part and it began to fail then.

Take it all apart and start over. Make sure you did not use too much thermal paste. Some brands are mildly conductive and if it gets on the motherboard that can cause a short. Pay careful attention to the standoffs.
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:54:32 AM

anort3 said:
Your best bet is to take everything out and start over. Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere. RAM does not fail over time very often at all. If RAM is going to fail it will usually be when it's first used. It's to much of a concidence that you just added a part and it began to fail then.

Take it all apart and start over. Make sure you did not use too much thermal paste. Some brands are mildly conductive and if it gets on the motherboard that can cause a short. Pay careful attention to the standoffs.

well, I imagine it has to be either RAM, CPU, or MOBO...but how will I know...they all have to be connected at the same time
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 151 } Memory
September 20, 2012 8:57:08 AM

If you took everything apart when it worked and then it did not work after you put it back together again then deductive reasoning implies something is wrong with the way you put it together again. Take it all back apart and then carefully reassemble it. Something may be shorting or a connection may not be making proper contact somewhere. Reseat the RAM and video card and all the power supply connections and SATA connecters and so on. If that does not work then you start trying to diagnose a bad part.
September 20, 2012 10:03:03 AM

I was going to suggest using 1 stick of ram at a time, but maybe try that if it still acts the same after a resetting of everything.
m
l
September 30, 2012 7:51:26 PM

Best answer selected by roaddoc326.
m
l
!