Bad MotherBoard Or PSU?

ok im trying to build a computer i plugged everything in but the fan on my power supply does not spin and the fans inside the tower do not work eather my motherboard has a Green LED light on it.. but when i push the on button on my tower nothing happens..is this because my motherboard or PSU is bad?
17 answers Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. Go through this guide step by step and make sure you did not miss anything http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
    My first suspicion if all power cables are connected right would be the front panel connectors.
    You can use this method to test your PSU outside the case to see if it turns on http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components
  2. Click the power button on the motherboard itself and see if it works.
  3. When things don't work... Read the manual. This may be a simple connection issue. Make sure all connections are correct. Check them again.
  4. how do i click the power button on the motherboard itself is it labled powersw? if so it just has to pins sticking up how will i power it on?
  5. detroit1992 said:
    how do i click the power button on the motherboard itself is it labled powersw? if so it just has to pins sticking up how will i power it on?

What is the board? Boards generally have a power button that has the general power symbol on it. Te Powersw is where you plug your front power into.
  6. i have m4a88tm Asus
  7. detroit1992 said:
    i have m4a88tm Asus

You have to plug your case connections in the front panel connections for the switches and and other features on the case to work.
  8. Hm, it doesn't have one. Can you try another PSU or board? Any beep codes? If a light is on the board, obviously, the PSU is giving out power. But, maybe there is an error in the board. Check your manual too. Maybe you can get an explanation from that.
  9. rolli59 said:
    You have to plug your case connections in the front panel connections for the switches and and other features on the case to work.

He said he plugged it all in.
  10. Then Try shorting the two pins with a flat screwdriver (same as using a button)
  11. rolli59 said:
    Then Try shorting the two pins with a flat screwdriver (same as using a button)

What does that mean? I know I am not the one who needs help, but I would love to know!
  12. If the power button in the case is broken all we have to do to start up the computer is to short out those two pins for a moment. That is all the power button does when you press it.
  13. rolli59 said:
    If the power button in the case is broken all we have to do to start up the computer is to short out those two pins for a moment. That is all the power button does when you press it.

And you short them out by touching the two pins together?
  14. By touching a screwdriver between them gives it a start signal.
  15. rolli59 said:
    By touching a screwdriver between them gives it a start signal.

Got it. Sounds like it would work!
  16. do i touch the 2 pins while the power cord is pluged in and the psu in on or do i have to do it while its off?
  17. Every thing plugged in and PSU switch on!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Motherboards Components