My PC keeps freezing. Please Help

G

So, yesterday, when I was playing a game, my PC freezed. I forced turned off the PC then I turned it on again and after some time it freezed again. It freezed some 4 times and after that there appeared some vertical stripes and the computer would not boot, it just stayed in the windows screen without doing anything.

I tried to boot in safe mode and it did. Then I searched what could be the problem and I uninstalled the graphics driver. Finally I could boot but there were still vertical stripes. I tried to install the nvidea graphics driver and it just continued the same.

Then I performed a clean installation of the nvidea graphics and voila, my pc was back to normal, bot then, after some time it freezed again and it again wouldn't boot.
Please help why it keeps freezing and then I can only boot in safe mode.
Any help will be very appreciated

Thanks, Goldi3

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the basic specs for your system?

You are describing a typical problem with either heat or power. Video cards are very sensitive to power issues. How old is your power supply? Also, are you monitoring your system's temperatures?

G

I dont know... Maybe my graphic card is fried. But the strange thing it's that it works if I you uninstall the graphics driver in safe mode the install again in normal mode, bu then, whe i try to play a game, after like 2 minutes it freezes and I need to do all of that again. My power supply is 1year old and my PC is 3 year old.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK, what processor, how much memory, what make/model of video card, what make/model of power supply, etc, do you have? Also, what version of Windows?

When you use the standard VGA drivers, you aren't stressing the video card. When you use the vendor provided drivers, you use more video card features, which can use more power, which will generate more heat.

We need all of this info to help you troubleshoot the problem.

G

I use a Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz, 4gb Memory, an Asus GeForce PCI-E 9800GT HybridPower 1Gb GDDR3 video card, a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W power supply. The windows is the Windows 7.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Does your motherboard have built-in video? Also, do you have access to another PC that you could swap the 9800GT into?

Not a bad PSU. Power should be okay as long as the PSU isn't filled with dust or the PSU fan isn't working.

When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your rig?

G

My motherboard has a built-in video. I dont actually have another PC, so i cant swap the video-card.
I cleaned the PC about a year ago. Can it be why it is happening?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yep, could just be dust build-up. Try cleaning first, then install the current drivers. If that fails, then remove the video card and use the on-board. If the on-board works properly (you'll have to install drivers for it) then your video card "may" be the problem.

Is the video card under warranty?

G

Could the fact that the video cards cooling system was blocked? I've been using this setup for all the time and nothing happened.

TRENDING THREADS