Last response: in Motherboards
September 20, 2012 1:21:09 PM

I just recently started having very strange computer problems

Specs
MSI 790x GD70
ATI Radeon 4890 AMD
Phenom II X4 955 quad core
4g ddr3

I was away from my computer for two months and when I came back I suddenly started having cmos checksum bad errors every time I booted. I would load the default bios values and continue and everything would be fine. Lately, after I go through the cmos error prompt windows will begin to boot and freeze, or will freeze on a black screen which results in having to do a manual restart.

Sometimes when windows does boot I can do normal activities (Web, and games) but after 10 or so minutes the screen will look as if it is tearing and it will freeze. It looks as if the colors on the screen are smeared in a horizontal direction and the whole machine freezes. Usually I have to manually start my PC 2 or 3 times before windows loads and I can use it with no problems. I am actually using it right now to write this post.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I badly need this PC to do university work and research. Thanks in advance for any advice!
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 1:24:50 PM

Im gonna guess its your PSU. Try another quality PSU in it and see if it clears it up. The 4890 is a power hungry hog if memory serves me right.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:13:14 PM

I don't think its the power supply, I built this computer 3 or so years ago and it was running completely fine until I went abroad for business and then came back. Only then did I start having this cmos checksum bad issue.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 2:16:35 PM

it could be the cmos battery.
m
l
!