AM3+ Motherboard Advice

horrorslice

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I just recently got a Phenom II X6 1095T, and I plan on upgrading to the FX-8350 when it comes out. I haven't built a computer in forever, and motherboard choices were much easier 10 years ago. So now, I'm seeking advice.

- I'm going to be using it for gaming, and just about nothing else. (inb4 Intel :p)
- I do not plan on running Crossfire/SLI at all.
- Looking for 4 DIMM slots.
- I read Tom's Hardware guide on the auto OC utilities. I have never OC'd, and I don't really want to mess around with it greatly to do it all manually. So auto OC is a great feature for me. :)
- I've been searching Newegg, but a lot of people give low eggs for problems that may or may not be related to the motherboard.
- I have no brand loyalty.
- Last but not least, looking to spend ~$125 on it.

The best idea that I have found so far, is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130637 and from my understanding, the only difference between the 970 and the 990X/FX is more support for Crossfire. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I don't know much about components anymore, so I thought I'd consult a more knowledgable crowd.

Thanks in advance guys! (and gals)

I would not buy MSI, especially if you have any interest in overclocking (even auto); many of them have weak VRMs that will pop under the added stress. Sorry, I've got a link to an article on overclock.net and a "trouble chart" they created, but it's at home, not at work. I'd choose something from Asus, ASRock, or Gigabyte.

horrorslice

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Sorry, I didn't really specify in the OP. I currently do not have a motherboard for this processor. As far as the processor upgrade, I'm referring to the the FX-8350 (New Steamroller chip). I'll wait to see benchmarks and so forth, but it's something that I plan on upgrading if it's worth while. That's why I'd rather be ready for it with a motherboard that will support it.