Using 4 monitors on dual gtx 580 matrix platinum

JavaBen

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I'm building up a new stock trading system, as I was loading up the old system.

I've been building computer systems since '78(!) - it's a lot easier now - no soldering of chips and placing springs under keys keyboards now! BTW - my first homebuilt, a DEC PDP-1103, cost as much as a new car! And that was with paper tape; I was able to upgrade 2 years later to dual 8" floppy drives (256K each) for $2,500! And 8K of memory was $500.....

Anyway, I've built many systems since then, but this is my first entry into gaming video cards, so having to boot up fast on some knowledge.

I want four monitors on this new system, (I have other monitors on other systems for redundancy).

This new system has:
MB: Asus P8 Z68-V Pro
VC: Asus GTX580 Matrix Platinum (this has 2 dvi outputs for 2 monitors)
PS: 1250 watts
HD: WD 2 x 2TB, 7200 RM
DVD: Asus Blu-ray

Desire: Want to add another GTX580 card to get up to 4 monitors.

Question: I'm a little confused about the SLI interface if I add a 2nd GTX 580 board. I'm under the impression that I WOULD NOT connect the SLI between the two GTX580 boards, as it's my (limited) understanding that the SLI serves to double the processing ability to a single monitor. Since I would be using 4 independent monitors, I would leave this SLI not bridged.

Thanks!

JavaBen

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
oops - edite: OK, but as I noted, I'm not interested in gaming (daytrading is a pretty intense video game unto itself!), so if I had 2 x GTX580s, then it would drive 4 monitors, correct, without the SLI?

JavaBen

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Mousemonkey, I think you are right on the overkill :) But in my ignorance, I ended up with a GTX580, and want to stay with that to ensure no issues between boards.

Thanks for your help!