Sign in with
Your question

PCIe 2.0 x16 video card in a PCIe X16 slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2011 5:31:40 PM

My mobo has a PCIe x16 graphics slot and also has onboard graphics which are failing. I have been having trouble finding a good PCIe x16 video card at a decent price but have found plenty of PCIe 2.0 x16 ones at decent prices.
My question is will the PCIe 2.0 x16 cards work in the PCIe x16 slot???
Thanks.
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 10, 2011 5:48:44 PM

Yes.
m
l
July 10, 2011 6:34:46 PM

Quote:
yes but be weary of pcie 2.1 some of those dont work on pcie 1.0 x16

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I need to get one pretty fast and needed this info.
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2011 7:02:40 PM

Quote:
np, anything else while im still here?

Actually, yes. I have a Compaq that is about a year old and it has onboard graphics that have started failing after the PC is on for about an hour. The PC still functions but the screen goes completely black. At first, I thought the PC died but I switched the monitor to another PC and it is fine. Then, I tried hitting some keys to see if the PC was still responding and it was. I have to unplug it to turn it off, since I can't locate the start button with the mouse with the screen blank. I unplug it and if I try to start it back immediately, the screen will light up but it is all garbage. If I wait about an hour for the PC to cool down, it will start back fine and last about an hour before going black again.

Will installing a video card fix this problem or will I still have video problems? In other words, are the onboard graphics completely independent from the graphics slot?
Thanks a lot for any help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2011 7:15:27 PM

Your Pc Works after it cools down... Maybe its a problem with your cpu overheating or something.
Have you overclocked ur PC(I Guess No)..

Anyways, go to google and search "CPUID Hardware Monitor" !
Then download and install it.
It lets u see the temperatures of ur CPU, Mobo and all.

So power on ur pc, and den run CPUID HW Monitor and check the temps(Of Ur CPU Mainly) for 1 hour(I Mean if ur PC usually shuts down in 1 hour)
If Dere is a large rise in Temp. of the processor(CPU) , like say 60 - 70 Degrees and den ur PC goes black , its an overheating issue!
m
l
July 10, 2011 7:24:10 PM

djabhi003 said:
Your Pc Works after it cools down... Maybe its a problem with your cpu overheating or something.
Have you overclocked ur PC(I Guess No)..

Anyways, go to google and search "CPUID Hardware Monitor" !
Then download and install it.
It lets u see the temperatures of ur CPU, Mobo and all.

So power on ur pc, and den run CPUID HW Monitor and check the temps(Of Ur CPU Mainly) for 1 hour(I Mean if ur PC usually shuts down in 1 hour)
If Dere is a large rise in Temp. of the processor(CPU) , like say 60 - 70 Degrees and den ur PC goes black , its an overheating issue!

Okay, I will download and run the CPUID HW Monitor and get back with the results.
Thanks a lot!!!!
m
l
!