ASUS Bios update

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Following advice here, going to update the BIOS on my ASUS mobo

P8Z77-V LE

Downloaded the file .. (.cap file) and it came with a pdf .. that tells me to rename it to: P8Z77VLE.CAP
However the normal approach of highlighting file name & changing it does not work ? .....how do I rename it ?

Also do I need to use a utility to install it ?

On my previous PC I just had to double click on file to upgrade BIOS ...

The .CAP files are a new firmware format that replace the old .ROM format. The updater should contain both a .ROM and .CAP file. Place the .ROM and .CAP file in the same folder on a USB thumbdrive and use the Asus EZ Flash 2 application (accessible through the system settings) to flash the .ROM file. Your PC will reboot and the ROM that you just flashed will load and flash the new .CAP file before shutting down automatically. In total this is about a 10 minute process. After this you can just flash .CAP files directly

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
I just went to ASUS site again, I found the BIOS renamer utility .. used that and renamed .cap file correctly.
When I download teh BIOS update .. there is no ROM file , just .CAP file and some pdf's
Do I need to download some form of upgrade utility ...

I see that the Asus Intel 7 series motherboards already ship with the .CAP format, it was just the X79 motherboards that needed to be converted. Thus no converter is necessary and you should be able to upgrade to the latest .CAP directly using the Asus EZFlash 2 application. The file only needs to be renamed if you are using the Flashback flashing method, which is only necessary if the EZFlash 2 method doesn't work. Try the EZFlash 2 (firmware level) or AI Suite flash tool (operating system level) first.

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, I had to rename it, but I did not have any problems doing it just through windows (I have a P8Z77-V Pro). I also used the included ASUS utility, whichever that is (I dont think it was EZFlash but must have been).

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

i'm new to this and stupidly didn't even read the pdf files. i just used AI Suite and pointed it to the cap file. seems like it updated correctly.

so the CAP definitely does NOT need to be renamed?

It only needs to be renamed if you're flashing it via the Flashback method. The AI Suite and EZ Flash 2 methods do not require renaming