Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1000 Gaming PC - Need some final advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 11, 2011 1:00:48 PM

Heya guys, so my 6 year old crappy computer finally broke down and i've convinced my parents to let me get a new one. I'll be mostly using it for gaming. I'm from Australia so parts here are probably a little more expensive than other places. I'll most likely be ordering all my parts from the same website (pccasegear.com). But anyway, onto the build. Please tell me what you think and what I can improve on it.

Cheers :) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximate Purchase Date: As early as the next few days.

Budget Range: $1000 (can go a bit over if absolutely needed)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the net, making/editing videos, watching movies, doing homework (hehe)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, monitor, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pccasegear.com (don't know of many other websites)

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: I don't know much about how to overclock, but yes once I understand it better

SLI or Crossfire: In the future if games become too unplayable, i'll add another GPU

Monitor Resolution: 1900x1080

Additional Comments: I would like it to be as quiet as possible, and I plan to have this computer for as long as I can, not too fussed about fancy lights and that kinda stuff


Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced - $115
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
(going to change the front fan to green or purple :D )

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k - $219
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler $33
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

GPU: HIS Radeon HD6950 1GB IceQ X - $229
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ - $55
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $65
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

MOBO: ASRock Z68 Pro3 Motherboard - $125
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

PSU: Corsair TX-650 V2 Power Supply - $113
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Optical: ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW Drive - $25
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Total: $979

CHANGES I HAVE MADE TO THE BUILD ARE IN BOLD.

:3 :3 :3 :3
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2011 1:35:21 PM

It sounds like you would be waiting until that GPU is showing it's age before you would want to crossfire it, that is not recommended. This is because by the time you can't game on that you will probably be able to get a card twice as powerful and more efficient for $150. What i am starting to recommend is that if you are not planning on buying the second card within a year it's not worth it. With that in mind you could save a bit on your PSU and motherboard and probably get a better GPU anyway.

I would go for this:

i5-2500k - $219
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1333Mhz - $59
ASRock Z68 PRO3 - $125
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $55
ASUS Radeon HD6950 DirectCU II 1GB - $279
Coolermaster Silencio 550 - $99
Antec NEO 520 520W - $69
Samsung DVD Burner - $22
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 - $75

Total - $1012

That should be quieter, have better cooling, a faster hard drive and a better graphics card while costing less. It just means giving up on the idea of Crossfire.

EDIT: Had a typo
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 1:44:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think i'll change the case, but you made a very interesting point with the GPU issue. I think i'll go with your idea, but do you think this would be a better 6950, even though it's more expensive?
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
$339

Thanks for the HDD change, and with the Noctua, do you think that's overkill? Considering the price of the Noctua, I think the CoolerMaster would be good enough. Also, what is the difference between the motherboard I chose and the motherboard you linked? I'm not very good with motherboards, but again thanks so much for your reply and help.

EDIT: Had a derp moment and didn't link the 6950! :3
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2011 2:07:42 PM

The CM 690II is a decent case but not at that price, that is incredibly expensive.

You are only going to use 2GB of graphics memory in ultra high resolutions like 2560x1600 and 5760x1080. 1GB is fine for a single 1080P monitor.

I picked the Noctua because it's quiet and extremely good at cooling. I designed the whole thing to be really quiet. If you consider it overkill then feel free to change it.

The difference between the motherboards is pretty much just that the PRO3 doesn't support SLI at x8/x8 speed. There may be one or two other very minor things too.
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 3:16:19 PM

jmsellars1 said:
The CM 690II is a decent case but not at that price, that is incredibly expensive.

You are only going to use 2GB of graphics memory in ultra high resolutions like 2560x1600 and 5760x1080. 1GB is fine for a single 1080P monitor.

I picked the Noctua because it's quiet and extremely good at cooling. I designed the whole thing to be really quiet. If you consider it overkill then feel free to change it.

The difference between the motherboards is pretty much just that the PRO3 doesn't support SLI at x8/x8 speed. There may be one or two other very minor things too.


Thanks for clearing things up once again.

Would you recommend the CoolerMaster 912 HAF for $115?

I did some research on the 6950 you recommended and apparently it's virtually silent, I think i'll go with it. :D 

I think i'll stick with the CoolerMaster fan and get the motherboard you recommended :D  do you think I need the thermal compound?

Also, is that the best 520w psu around? Are there any better for around the same price?

Cheers

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2011 4:16:20 PM

Depends what you mean by better in terms of the PSU. You may be able to get one that is slightly more efficient or slightly quieter for a bit more or something but generally i think that Antec will be reliable and good value. If you want more of a 'gamer' case with the LED's and such i would go for the HAF 922 or the Storm Scout. That HAF 912 seems slightly overpriced too.

EDIT: I don't think the HAF series are particularly quiet to be honest, i think the Storm Scout is relatively quiet with good cooling though.
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 5:52:58 PM

the hyper 212 comes with thermal paste in the box, i just did a build with it :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2011 6:21:38 PM

The Swelly Express said:
Heya guys, so my 6 year old crappy computer finally broke down and i've convinced my parents to let me get a new one. I'll be mostly using it for gaming. I'm from Australia so parts here are probably a little more expensive than other places. I'll most likely be ordering all my parts from the same website (pccasegear.com). But anyway, onto the build. Please tell me what you think and what I can improve on it.

Cheers :) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximate Purchase Date: As early as the next few days.

Budget Range: $1000 (can go a bit over if absolutely needed)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the net, making/editing videos, watching movies, doing homework (hehe)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, monitor, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pccasegear.com (don't know of many other websites)

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: I don't know much about how to overclock, but yes once I understand it better

SLI or Crossfire: In the future if games become too unplayable, i'll add another GPU

Monitor Resolution: 1900x1080

Additional Comments: I would like it to be as quiet as possible, and I plan to have this computer for as long as I can, not too fussed about fancy lights and that kinda stuff


Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced nVidia Edition - $125
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k - $219
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler $33
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6870 IceQ X 1GB - $199
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS - $59
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $65
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard - $145
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

PSU: Corsair TX-750 V2 Power Supply - $145
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
(I'm not sure if 650 watts will be able to handle Crossfire 6870's in the future, so i'm going with 750)

Optical: ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW Drive - $25
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 (3.5g) - $9
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Total: $1,024

Thoughts: I'm not sure if I need the thermal compound, but other than that, i'm happy with the build. I'm so excited to get it built so I can start gaming! :D  Well, that's it guys. Please tell me what you think, i'm looking forward to some reviews from you guys :) 

:3 :3 :3 :3

Nice build. :)  You don't need that Arctic Silver seeing how that CM 212+ comes with a small tube of decent thermal compound.

Here's a few changes I would consider.

First a quicker h/d.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $55.00
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

Then save a few dollars with a psu that is on par with that Corsair.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $139.00
Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply HCG-750

Then save a few more dollars with a large case that has plenty of room for additional fans.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $115.00
CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced

And then step up a level on the video card.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $259.00
ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II Overclocked 1GB

m
0
l
September 12, 2011 3:05:26 AM

Why_Me said:
Nice build. :)  You don't need that Arctic Silver seeing how that CM 212+ comes with a small tube of decent thermal compound.

Here's a few changes I would consider.

First a quicker h/d.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $55.00
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

Then save a few dollars with a psu that is on par with that Corsair.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $139.00
Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply HCG-750

Then save a few more dollars with a large case that has plenty of room for additional fans.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $115.00
CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced

And then step up a level on the video card.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $259.00
ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II Overclocked 1GB


Hiya dude, thanks for all the advice.

I changed my HDD and Case to your recommendations, I like the "rugged" look of the HAF 912 Advanced :D  but will I be able to change the fans to a different colour? Or can I install my own 200mm LED fan at the front?

I also looked at your graphics card recommendation but I decided on this:

HIS Radeon HD6950 1GB IceQ X - $225
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Is that a good choice? I also changed my PSU to:

Corsair TX-650 V2 Power Supply
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Are those good choices?

Thanks again :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 17, 2011 3:32:55 PM

You only need 500W unless you're planning to Crossfire. HD 6950 1GB is a good choice though.
m
0
l
!