9800GTX 100c playing Crysis2 safe?

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Hi, my rig is an old tech C2D. I am playing Crysis 2 at "Gaming spec" and the GPU temp while playing
ranges from 90-100C @ 100 fan speed. I want to know if it's safe to continue playing or it will melt my GPU.

Should I upgrade my GPU so that I can play Crysis 2 less than 90c?

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Thank you for the dust solution. Playing crysis 2 right now at gaming specs and WOW MY GFX IS BELOW 70C AT MAX vs 90-100c, that's a 30C difference just by a air can dust removal!

Ambient temps can make a huge difference.

I can't keep any graphics under 80C while gaming at home. My GTX 470 (overclocked) regularly hits 83C while gaming, never much higher. But that's the best I can do with a high airflow case and external exhaust in Guam. It's super humid with 85F ambient temp.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Not safe at all, please make sure you clean out your case and make sure your case has some good air flow as well.
Please also clean the card and if you are able to clean the card and remove the heatsink, please re-apply some fresh thermal grease.
My choice will be MX-4, AS5 or IC diamond..
Now if you can spend the extra dollar for a new GPU card that would be good but the card can run Crysis 2

If you like I would go for a 560Ti or 550Ti

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
First off - the published spec for that card is 105 degrees C - http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800_gtx_us.html

Second every previous generation card (including the GTX) has a temperature protection mechanism to prevent you from frying your card - it will drop voltage and clocks until it cools down a little. You will see your performance drop.

100C on that card is safe

But it is pretty hard to reach that limit unless you overvolt or overclock - unless (as you have found out) the cause is something like dust.
This generation of GPUs (inc AMD 4870) were designed with 100C operation in mind.

And lastly the current Crysis is nothing like the previous versions. It was built with consoles in mind and the graphics and effects are so downscaled that this game will not push your hardware to any limit. your system will do just fine....

Just air it out once in a while ok....