Sli/Xfire Immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krixly

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I was watching the newegg how to build a computer series and in the third video the guy said that if you plan on SLI or Xfiring you should buy the two cards together, or at least really close together. I was planning on buying a 560 ti or HD 6950 and sli/xfiring them in a year or so. Is this a bad idea?

Solution
It is not a bad idea, but not a good one wither.

I advocate using a single great card vs. two where one card will do the job.
If you are planning on sli/cf, you must pay more up front for a sli/cf capable mobo, and a stronger psu.
The savings using a single card will pay for a stronger video card up front.

The 28nm cards are due out the end of the year. You can expect them to run cooler, faster, and be cheaper to produce.
At that time, it will be unattractive to pay for a second obsolete card to sli/cf. The prices don't come down that much as you might expect.
Perhaps because of the sli/cf demand.

It is simpler to just sell the old card on ebay and replace it with something much stronger.
It is not a bad idea, but not a good one wither.

I advocate using a single great card vs. two where one card will do the job.
If you are planning on sli/cf, you must pay more up front for a sli/cf capable mobo, and a stronger psu.
The savings using a single card will pay for a stronger video card up front.

The 28nm cards are due out the end of the year. You can expect them to run cooler, faster, and be cheaper to produce.
At that time, it will be unattractive to pay for a second obsolete card to sli/cf. The prices don't come down that much as you might expect.
Perhaps because of the sli/cf demand.

It is simpler to just sell the old card on ebay and replace it with something much stronger.

Solution

Krixly

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Thanks for the advice. Think I'll just play LoL on Intel HD3000 until the 28nm cards come out and buy one of those

And my power supply is already 750 watt and my mobo is sli/xfire compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.