New motherboard/PSU/case to replace dell xps 710?

johnnycat

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I'm looking to replace my recently burnt out Dell XPS 710 motherboard, while reusing as many components as I can. I reasonably expect to get a new case and PSU with this, but hope to take everything else, and do it relatively cheaply. If it's reasonable to keep the PSU or even case, I'm not against it. =)

I'm fairly against just replacing the 710 motherboard with a used or refurb, since I don't really trust it to keep surviving (and the PSUs from this era of dells seems a bit unreliable and custom, so if I stuck with the 710 motherboard I might end up needing a custom PSU to replace it if it breaks).

This is what I'd like to keep using:

CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 2.4 GHz
RAM: 3gb DD2 SDRAM
Graphics: GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb
Sound: SB Audigy
4 SATA drives (2TB total, between 250 gb to 1000gb)
2 DVD drives (though I'd probably survive if I had to go down to 1)

Old dell PSU was 750w, FWIW. My (naive) expectation is that I should go for at least that much in a replacement? Do I need more? (HDDs don't eat all that much power, do they?)

Any suggestions? I saw some older threads with the same idea of replacing XPS 710 motherboards, but most of the motherboards suggested seem like they aren't even on sale from NewEgg anymore...

Or am I so out of date I'm going to be forced to either buy used/secondhand or go for a more complete upgrade (i.e. CPU/memory/etc.)?

Thanks.

rparker017

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hey Johnny. I was in a similar situation (XPS 720 w/fried motherboard) and built a new PC in December. I also tried to re-use the same processor, but couldn't find a MB w/ compatible socket that fit my needs. I'm guessing you've already replaced your PC. If not, I'd be happy to share details of my build.

Bzepc

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

I have the same problem need to upgrade any info on your build would help, thanks.