Partition

Having read (practically) all the 'how to' topics on disc
partitioning I am now more confused than when I started.
Simple question really. I am currently using my laptop
running XP, while my faithful old Windows 95 PC lies idle.
However, the old machine has lots of files and information
that I don't want to lose. I have considered creating a
partition on my laptop hard disc and installing my Windows
95 files on it.
I need to know:
can I simply create a partition and install my Windows 95
in the new drive - remember I would still have XP already
installed on Drive C.
Or do I have to, as several other topics suggest, reformat
the complete hard disc in order to install the Windows 95
system before I re-install my XP system as seems to be
generally recommended.
Looking forward to a one page solution
Ray
2 answers Last reply
More about partition

    The easiest method would be to slave the drive, however, this being a
    laptop, you could consider an external USB drive. Once connected, your
    Win95 files would be listed and obtainable via Windows Explorer.

    Another option to try as I don't know if it applies to Win95:

    How to Install Windows 98 after Installing Windows XP
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Rayvin" <raycar_bow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Having read (practically) all the 'how to' topics on disc
    > partitioning I am now more confused than when I started.
    > Simple question really. I am currently using my laptop
    > running XP, while my faithful old Windows 95 PC lies idle.
    > However, the old machine has lots of files and information
    > that I don't want to lose. I have considered creating a
    > partition on my laptop hard disc and installing my Windows
    > 95 files on it.
    > I need to know:
    > can I simply create a partition and install my Windows 95
    > in the new drive - remember I would still have XP already
    > installed on Drive C.
    > Or do I have to, as several other topics suggest, reformat
    > the complete hard disc in order to install the Windows 95
    > system before I re-install my XP system as seems to be
    > generally recommended.
    > Looking forward to a one page solution
    > Ray

    Later suggestion is more likely what you could do. It's possibly to have
    win95 and winxp on same disk on different partitions. I have done that with
    win98 and win2k. It required lot of work and commercial utility Partition
    Magic.

    There are also special commercial software which allows you to run several
    operating systems on same pc simultaneously. See http://www.vm-ware.com/.

    "Rayvin" <raycar_bow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Having read (practically) all the 'how to' topics on disc
    > partitioning I am now more confused than when I started.
    > Simple question really. I am currently using my laptop
    > running XP, while my faithful old Windows 95 PC lies idle.
    > However, the old machine has lots of files and information
    > that I don't want to lose. I have considered creating a
    > partition on my laptop hard disc and installing my Windows
    > 95 files on it.
    > I need to know:
    > can I simply create a partition and install my Windows 95
    > in the new drive - remember I would still have XP already
    > installed on Drive C.
    > Or do I have to, as several other topics suggest, reformat
    > the complete hard disc in order to install the Windows 95
    > system before I re-install my XP system as seems to be
    > generally recommended.
    > Looking forward to a one page solution
    > Ray

Configuration Partition Windows 95 Windows XP