Help with NEF please

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 31, 2005 1:33:56 PM

Hello,

I've just returned from Arizona where I shot everything on my Dup in the raw
format. Never had a problem BEFORE, now, I can't open those files in my
photoshop program; however, I did uninstall my Nikon View program. Did I
remove that PS7 plug in when I did that.

Another question - when I oipen the NEF images and save them to TIFF, am I
losing the information from RAW? What should be the proper procedure for
this?

Thanks much, I'm not so informed as I wish I were.

Great appreciation for any help,
HikerD

More about : nef

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:53:20 PM

That camera was supposed to be a D70 - sorry about that!
"HIKER4LIFE" <HIKER4@CHARTER.NET> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've just returned from Arizona where I shot everything on my Dup in the
> raw format. Never had a problem BEFORE, now, I can't open those files in
> my photoshop program; however, I did uninstall my Nikon View program. Did
> I remove that PS7 plug in when I did that.
>
> Another question - when I oipen the NEF images and save them to TIFF, am I
> losing the information from RAW? What should be the proper procedure for
> this?
>
> Thanks much, I'm not so informed as I wish I were.
>
> Great appreciation for any help,
> HikerD

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:20:41 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:33:56 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "HIKER4LIFE"
<HIKER4@CHARTER.NET> wrote:

>I've just returned from Arizona where I shot everything on my Dup in the raw
>format. Never had a problem BEFORE, now, I can't open those files in my
>photoshop program; however, I did uninstall my Nikon View program. Did I
>remove that PS7 plug in when I did that.

Yes. If you re-install NV that will re-install the plugin. If you
don't want NV around, just make a copy of the plugin somewhere else
and then uninstall NV. Then move the copy back.

>Another question - when I oipen the NEF images and save them to TIFF, am I
>losing the information from RAW? What should be the proper procedure for
>this?

No, but by using the Nikon plugin you are losing a lot of control over
the process. You might consider giving the free raw converter someone
else mentioned or consider PSCS or Nikon Capture to name a few.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
March 31, 2005 7:06:53 PM

AFIK, the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in for PS 7 did not support the D70. I
assume your installation of Nikon View allowed you to open / convert the NEF
files, so uninstalling Nikon View took away that ability. You most likely
need to reinstall Nikon View. As for the question on data loss, converting
to TIF or JPG does nothing to the NEF file, it simply creates a new file.

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:14:08 PM

"HIKER4LIFE" <HIKER4@CHARTER.NET> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've just returned from Arizona where I shot everything on my Dup in the
> raw format. Never had a problem BEFORE, now, I can't open those files in
> my photoshop program; however, I did uninstall my Nikon View program. Did
> I remove that PS7 plug in when I did that.
>
> Another question - when I oipen the NEF images and save them to TIFF, am I
> losing the information from RAW? What should be the proper procedure for
> this?
>
> Thanks much, I'm not so informed as I wish I were.
>
> Great appreciation for any help,
> HikerD

Download the updated camera raw plugin (2.4) from adobe which works ok for
d70 nefs.
re other ?, when you open nef with camera raw or any other raw converter and
then save as tiff the original remains unchanged.
There is a free raw converter that is rather good if you are interested, get
it here:
http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials...
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:14:09 PM

I thank you both for your help!

"leon" <who@where.test> wrote in message

> "HIKER4LIFE" <HIKER4@CHARTER.NET> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just returned from Arizona where I shot everything on my Dup in the
>> raw format. Never had a problem BEFORE, now, I can't open those files in
>> my photoshop program; however, I did uninstall my Nikon View program.
>> Did I remove that PS7 plug in when I did that.
>>
>> Another question - when I oipen the NEF images and save them to TIFF, am
>> I losing the information from RAW? What should be the proper procedure
>> for this?
>>
>> Thanks much, I'm not so informed as I wish I were.
>>
>> Great appreciation for any help,
>> HikerD
>>
> Download the updated camera raw plugin (2.4) from adobe which works ok for
> d70 nefs.
> re other ?, when you open nef with camera raw or any other raw converter
> and then save as tiff the original remains unchanged.
> There is a free raw converter that is rather good if you are interested,
> get it here:
> http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials...

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:14:09 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:14:08 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "leon"
<who@where.test> wrote:

>Download the updated camera raw plugin (2.4) from adobe which works ok for
>d70 nefs.

Isn't that only for CS and V7 which he has?

<who@where.test> wrote:

>Download the updated camera raw plugin (2.4) from adobe which works ok for
>d70 nefs.

Should have been...

Isn't that only for CS and NOT V7 which he has?

See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:25:34 AM

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:14:08 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "leon"
> <who@where.test> wrote:
>
>>Download the updated camera raw plugin (2.4) from adobe which works ok for
>>d70 nefs.
>
> Should have been...
>

> Isn't that only for CS and NOT V7 which he has?

> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Yep your right, didn't read properly before posting, doh!
Rawshooter is the best option in that case.
!