Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Processor compatibility

Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2011 7:56:47 PM

okay my question is will a AMD ADX640WFGMBOX Athlon II X4 640 - 3.0 Ghz AM3 CPU fit on my mother board and work ?. i have a xeon dualcore 1.66Ghz processor now and i have a dell precision 690 . ive only really started to get into computer hardware and i am getting a new graphics card for christmas so i can run games more smoothly but i want to know should i get a new processor and would the one specified fit or do you have any other suggestions which would be better

Best solution

a c 866 à CPUs
December 11, 2011 7:59:05 PM

No AMD and Intel use different sockets and there is many different kinds.
Is this what you have http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/desktops/precn_690/pd.asp...
Then it looks like it is socket 771 and the listed CPU's is the only ones that will fit it.
December 11, 2011 8:05:48 PM

rolli got the first part of your question. For the second part; yes, you should probably upgrade since a 1.66 GHz core is going to bottleneck your graphics performance considerably (the CPU won't be able to keep up with commands from the graphics card).

To upgrade, you're going to need to get both a new motherboard and a new CPU, and possibly a new power supply unit if you're getting a really nice graphics card.
Score
Related resources
a c 866 à CPUs
December 11, 2011 8:09:37 PM

It actually comes with either 750watts or 1KW PSU's!
Score
December 11, 2011 8:10:52 PM

Chipbuster said:
rolli got the first part of your question. For the second part; yes, you should probably upgrade since a 1.66 GHz core is going to bottleneck your graphics performance considerably (the CPU won't be able to keep up with commands from the graphics card).

To upgrade, you're going to need to get both a new motherboard and a new CPU, and possibly a new power supply unit if you're getting a really nice graphics card.

thank you for replying, what would you suggest getting if i was going to get a new motherboard and processor which is not to expensive e.g £200 -£250 price range and that will be fit in my case ?
Score
December 11, 2011 8:12:54 PM

rolli59 said:
It actually comes with either 750watts or 1KW PSU's!

thank you for replying i think i have the 750 watt powersupply which i think should be powerful enough. do you think i should upgrade my processor and motherboard and if so what should i upgrade to ? within the (£200-£250 pricerange )
Score
a c 866 à CPUs
December 11, 2011 8:15:04 PM

ssj_jake said:
thank you for replying, what would you suggest getting if i was going to get a new motherboard and processor which is not to expensive e.g £200 -£250 price range and that will be fit in my case ?

There is a problem with that plan since your computer is BTX form factor and consumer modern hardware today is all ATX. A new case would be needed!
Score
December 11, 2011 8:22:36 PM

rolli59 said:
There is a problem with that plan since your computer is BTX form factor and consumer modern hardware today is all ATX. A new case would be needed!

o right. well i suppose ill just have to do a good deal of saving and just build a new one from scratch but thanks for the help. but i have one more question i have windows 7 64 bit professional installed on my pc and i have 8 gb of ram . but when i go into system it says 8gb of ram deted only 4.00 useable . im not sure why this wont work i also went into the bios to see it i could enable memmory remapping but the option was not there ?
Score
December 11, 2011 8:33:45 PM

Best answer selected by SSj_Jake.
Score
!