Sign in with
Your question

Not sure about upgrade.

Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2011 9:40:53 PM

Hello everyone! Well, as the title says I'm thinking about upgrading within the month, but am not sure if the gains would be worth it. Currently i have a Phenom II 1055T OC'd to 3.8 Ghz and am thinking about making the switch to Intel and getting an i5 2500k. I would primarily be upgrading for a better gaming experience and also have read that Ivy Bridge will also use the 1155 socket so eventually I'd be able to upgrade if the need arose in the future. :D 

Here's a list of what i plan to get for the upgrade:

CPU: (i5 2500k) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(If anyone has a suggestion for a better motherboard that's around the same price please feel free to share ;)  )

My current rig:

Phenom II 1055T (OC'd to 3.8)
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro
CORSAIR 750W Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB
Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Win 7 64-bit
500GB HD

Thanks in advance for any insights given :) 

More about : upgrade

a c 186 à CPUs
December 11, 2011 10:55:44 PM

You don't have to upgrade at the moment, only if you want to.
m
l
December 11, 2011 11:02:57 PM

No, if your only concern is Playing Games, you are not Recommended to Upgrade since it won't affect your performance (in games) in any way. Having a Quick Sandy Bridge CPU can help in Decompressing Zips faster, Converting Videos faster and have an Overall Faster Experience, but won't affect your performance in gaming.

As I see you already have an Radeon HD 6970, it is perfect for gaming and you don't need to upgrade anything except if you want to add an SSD as your primary hard disk for faster program, game and operating system Loading...
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
December 11, 2011 11:33:11 PM

You don't mention what resolution you game at which plays a big factor in how hard your graphics card is currently working.

It is true Sandy Bridge(I5 2500K) is better for gaming than Phenom II X6, but your probably gpu limited in a number of games with only a single video card, you won't see much if any gain in most games.
m
l
December 11, 2011 11:39:42 PM

Ah, sorry haha current resolution is 1080p, but I'd like to switch to 1200p soon.
m
l
December 12, 2011 12:20:09 AM

loneninja said:
You don't mention what resolution you game at which plays a big factor in how hard your graphics card is currently working.

It is true Sandy Bridge(I5 2500K) is better for gaming than Phenom II X6, but your probably gpu limited in a number of games with only a single video card, you won't see much if any gain in most games.

Even if an i5 is better than an Phenom II x6, you won't get any significant gain in FPS im "Most" games, except when you are using Software (CPU) PhysX since AMD cards doesn't support PhysX GPGPU Computing. But asides, games run pretty well even on a Athlon 64 x2 with a Decent Graphic Card...

No its not necessary to upgrade your Computer yet... You can always wait for Ivy Bridge (23nm) and for the AMD Radeon HD 7xxx's (Southern Island) which have A TON of improvements like XDR2 Memory Compared to GDDR5...

Even if your graphic card is single, you should be able to play any game at high or up since its a really performant card (HD 69xx). SLI or CrossFire is Good if you want to play in HD at ULTRA settings and using EyeFinity...
m
l
December 12, 2011 6:41:10 PM

Alright then. I guess I'll hold off for now and see how IB does. Thanks for the input guys :D 
m
l
!