Best connection to router for backup purposes?

canadave

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,

I want to set up a backup option for my home network, which currently consists of a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro. I'm going to be buying an ASUS RT-16 router running Tomato firmware. For those who are unfamiliar with the router, it features Gigabit connections, two USB ports, and 802.11n wireless.

My two options at this point for backup are:

1. USB external hard drive connected to the USB port on the router.
2. Regular 3.5" internal hard drive, in an Ethernet enclosure, which would connect to an Ethernet port on the router.

I'm going with a 1TB drive no matter which option I eventually choose.

Given those two choices, can anyone tell me which one would probably provide faster throughput for backups?

Looking forward to hearing some informed opinions :)

cheers,
Dave

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I would go USB myself (I am using the exact setup as that at home right now without issue).

The only issue I can see is with the router itself. I am having big issue with the wireless connection (it keeps losing connection from time to time). It seems like an issue with the router itself. Tomato might fix this though, but I haven't tested it yet. I am actually using a second router for a wireless connection only, and the asus one for firewall purpose and file sharing.

Also, if you go with the USB option, make sure you use an external powered enclosure (don't use usb powered one).

A NAS with a gigabit port connected at gigabit speeds is faster than a usb hard drive. A usb hard drive is a lot cheaper than a NAS with a gigabit port however. Go USB drive if this is for home; go NAS with a gigabit port if this is for business.