Windows Memory Diagnostic Freezing at 21%

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
So, I have been having some hardware issues the last few days and I believe it is a problem with one of or both of my Memory sticks, I ran the windows memory diagnostics on each stick individually on the most standard mode with only 2 tests just to start with. One of my sticks passed just fine and the other one froze on the first test at 26%. At this point, assuming, at least for now, that the second memory stick is shot I tried running an extended test on the one stick I think still works, and two times in a row had issues at EXACTLY 21% on the first test...it doesn't freeze because when I go to the options it is responsive, however it lags very very badly.

Does anyone have any help or insight for me into this situation.

As always, thanks

Solution
See most probably when you'd Installed windows, you must have configured the IDE/SATA controller in the BIOS to AHCI.
When the rig goes back to defaults it usually shows booting up problems if there is a mismatch.... in your case it's either Bad RAM, Bad VRAM Voltage or a case of Timing mismatch in the BIOS and the RAM Specs..
firstly we'll just go and check the basics.

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
You may need to set the BIOS for either XMS memory parameters (overclocked, essentially) or standard JEDEC memory parameters. Otherwise any stick that shows errors when run with the BIOS set for automatic configuration is defective and needs to be replaced.

The defect rate for any memory stick tends to go up with the awesomeness of its heat spreaders. That may be why Samsung modules have been so good.

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I only OCed the CPU not the RAM, but once I started having problems I reset everythin to default...also I tried posting this message earlier and my PC froze up on me...on the stick I thought was good.

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
In addition I noticed when I start up my PC in the splash screen(?) I think it's callled; when it shows what mobo you have and gives an option for BIOS...it shows 3 sets of letters and numbers so I cross referenced those numbers with my MOBO manual

The codes were: 98, B4, and A3 they stood for: "Consoleinput devices connect" "USB Hotplug" and "IDE Enable" respectively...hopefully that knowledge helps.

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I do not have a joystick and am I supposed to change it to AHCI, I don't even know what that is.

See most probably when you'd Installed windows, you must have configured the IDE/SATA controller in the BIOS to AHCI.
When the rig goes back to defaults it usually shows booting up problems if there is a mismatch.... in your case it's either Bad RAM, Bad VRAM Voltage or a case of Timing mismatch in the BIOS and the RAM Specs..
firstly we'll just go and check the basics.

Solution

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

So, what should I do for changing the VRAM voltage or fixing that mismatch...because if neither works im just gonna buy new sticks

roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

G SKill Ripjaws Dual channel 4 gigs each

ASRock z68 extreme3 gen3

Also sorry for the late response.