Sign in with
Your question

How to I connect PC to a HDMI monitor to HDMI TV?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2011 2:18:16 AM

Hi Experts, need some advise. With only a HDMI port on graphic card, how do I connect it to both HDMI monitor and HDMI TV? I would also like the desktop contents to be able to drag across both monitor.

Current setup:
HDMI to HDMI monitor (using HDMI cable)

New setup:
HDMI to HDMI monitor + HDMi TV (using HDMI cables)
a c 123 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 11, 2011 2:57:56 AM

With only one output you can only setup one monitor.

The splitter will simply split the signal in two, therefore both screens will see the same data.

Note that you can only choose one resolution, such as 1920x1080. You can not choose a resolution that is higher than one of the monitors can handle.

*Also, note that the HDTV's HDMI will only accept the "VIDEO MODE" output from the graphics card which is not the same as a normal PC monitor signal. Your choices will be limited to HDTV-supported resolutions such as 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p (720p means 1280x720 resolution).

In this mode the resolution is set and can not be changed in a video game, for example.

**Many monitors do not support "VIDEO MODE" inputs, only PC MODE. In those cases it would not be possible to split the signal.
Related resources
a c 123 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 11, 2011 3:03:16 AM

Resolutions:
The optimal choice for your HDTV is likely:
1080p@60_NTSC

If your monitor does not have a native resolution of 1920x1080 you can not use this, you will have to choose:
720p@60_NTSC

These modes will be in your ATI or NVIDIA's control panel under the HDTV output.

*Also note that an HDTV has a ratio of 16x9. If your computer monitor does not have that ratio the image, if it even shows, will be stretched.

You may find it best to simply buy a different video card with two outputs (such as DVI and HDMI). I imagine yours isn't expensive. I've seen inexpensive $40 HD5450's are something similar at NCIX.
July 14, 2011 6:06:05 AM

I realise i have a digital interface. would it be better to use digital port to hdmi monitor and hdmi port to tv? would it work this way? i need to know this before i invest on the tv.
July 14, 2011 6:08:37 AM

photonboy said:
With only one output you can only setup one monitor.

The splitter will simply split the signal in two, therefore both screens will see the same data.

Note that you can only choose one resolution, such as 1920x1080. You can not choose a resolution that is higher than one of the monitors can handle.

*Also, note that the HDTV's HDMI will only accept the "VIDEO MODE" output from the graphics card which is not the same as a normal PC monitor signal. Your choices will be limited to HDTV-supported resolutions such as 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p (720p means 1280x720 resolution).

In this mode the resolution is set and can not be changed in a video game, for example.

**Many monitors do not support "VIDEO MODE" inputs, only PC MODE. In those cases it would not be possible to split the signal.

Sorry, but I do not understand what is the difference between video mode and pc signal. and how does it affect the output?
!