Closed

Dell Dimension E521 CPU Upgrade

Hello, I have a Dell Dimension E521, and I need a new CPU so that it will be able to run newer games such as Diablo 3. I want to know the fastest CPU that is currently buyable, whether from eBay or elsewhere. Most of the ones I have seen are discontinued now, and can't be found on eBay either.
6 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension e521 upgrade
  1. It would be better if you invest in a completely new system.
  2. amuffin said:
    It would be better if you invest in a completely new system.

Probably, but I would like to consider all options of upgrading before I decide on buying a new computer.

I am currently using an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual core Processor 3600+.
    I need something that as good as an Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+ or better.
  3. dirtyferret said:
    ive able to run the athlon x2 6000 in the E521 just update the BIOS off the dell site

Thanks, I'll definitely consider that one. :) I'm looking for one a little lower though if possible, but I have no idea how to tell if a CPU is compatible with my motherboard. Would a 5600, 5400, or 5200 Athlon x2 work too?
  4. dirtyferret said:
    any of those will work

Alright, thank you for all of your help. I feel that I have enough information now to pick one out safely.

Just one more question:

Do I have to update my BIOS regardless of the one that I pick, or do I only have to update BIOS if I get a higher one, such as the 6000?
  5. Best answer selected by taylerzy.
  6. dirtyferret said:
    i would do it regardless, its pretty simple and you can do the update from your desktop as opposed to most BIOS updates.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

Okay, thank you very much for all of your help. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dimension Dell