Photo storage

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 31, 2005 7:53:57 PM

Hi

I've been looking for a portable storage device to take on holiday

Am currently leaning towards the iPod photo

Anyone have any opinions/advice to offer

Will the thing store music and pictures or is it an either or situation?

I'm looking for something that will handle file transfer and recharging on
its own as it's unlikely that I'll have access to a PC

Thanks for any help

Tim

More about : photo storage

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 31, 2005 11:58:23 PM

"Tim" <no spam@thanks.com> wrote in message
news:p 2V2e.4817$r47.2499@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I've been looking for a portable storage device to take on holiday
>
> Am currently leaning towards the iPod photo
>
> Anyone have any opinions/advice to offer
>
> Will the thing store music and pictures or is it an either or situation?
>
> I'm looking for something that will handle file transfer and recharging on
> its own as it's unlikely that I'll have access to a PC
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Tim

I brought my ipod on holiday with me & used the belkin media card reader to
transfer on to it. It worked a treat. I wouldn't bother getting the ipod
photo, it costs a bit more & if you just want it for storage, the normal
ipod will do the job for you.

Tom
April 1, 2005 12:09:24 AM

Thomas McGarr wrote:
> "Tim" <no spam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> news:p 2V2e.4817$r47.2499@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been looking for a portable storage device to take on holiday
>>
>> Am currently leaning towards the iPod photo
>>
>> Anyone have any opinions/advice to offer
>>
>> Will the thing store music and pictures or is it an either or
>> situation?
>>
>> I'm looking for something that will handle file transfer and
>> recharging on its own as it's unlikely that I'll have access to a PC
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
>> Tim
>>
> I brought my ipod on holiday with me & used the belkin media card
> reader to transfer on to it. It worked a treat. I wouldn't bother
> getting the ipod photo, it costs a bit more & if you just want it for
> storage, the normal ipod will do the job for you.
>
> Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom

Is there any advantage in the Belkin card reader over the Apple one that I
should know about?

I know the ipod photo costs a fair bit more and I'm not paying the extra if
all you get is a colour screen and some more storage

I assumed that the advantage of it would be the storage of mp3's and
pictures together

I'm assuming that with a normal ipod you can store either mp3's or use it as
a portable hard drive but not at the same time

I've looked around but info on this seems to be in short supply - can
someone please now post the obvious google link I've missed :-(

Thanks again

Tim
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 3:00:04 AM

Tim, the Belkin jobbie can handle different types of media card, but it
looks like with Apple's one, it's just a wire that would go into the back of
your camera. I don't know if it's got multiple connections on it or if you
have to buy a model specific wire for your camera. You are able to use the
ipod as your mp3 player & use it as a drive at the same time, it's pretty
versatile. Mine is coming to the end of it's life though. I've had 2 years
now & am only getting 2 hours continuous play out of it. I suppose it'll
come in handy as a portable drive.....

Tom
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 3:00:05 AM

In article <d2hru4$1qs$1@reader01.news.esat.net>,
"Thomas McGarr" <thomasmcgarrremoveme@iol.ie> wrote:

> Tim, the Belkin jobbie can handle different types of media card, but it
> looks like with Apple's one, it's just a wire that would go into the back of
> your camera. I don't know if it's got multiple connections on it or if you
> have to buy a model specific wire for your camera. You are able to use the
> ipod as your mp3 player & use it as a drive at the same time, it's pretty
> versatile. Mine is coming to the end of it's life though. I've had 2 years
> now & am only getting 2 hours continuous play out of it. I suppose it'll
> come in handy as a portable drive.....
>
> Tom

If you Google for "iPod replacement battery" or some such similar term,
you can find out where to buy a replacement battery and download
detailed directions on how to replace that battery in your iPod.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 10:07:11 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:53:57 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , "Tim" <no
spam@thanks.com> in <p2V2e.4817$r47.2499@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've been looking for a portable storage device to take on holiday
>
>Am currently leaning towards the iPod photo
>
>Anyone have any opinions/advice to offer
>
>Will the thing store music and pictures or is it an either or situation?
>
>I'm looking for something that will handle file transfer and recharging on
>its own as it's unlikely that I'll have access to a PC
>
>Thanks for any help

If you want to save money consider something like the Vosonic
xs-drive.

http://store.yahoo.com/tonyh/vovpxiien12.html

$150 with a 40 gig drive.

Or if you can turn some screws buy it from computergeeks.com (that's
where I got mine) and get a hard drive and install it yourself.

--
Matt Silberstein

a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 11:20:05 AM

Tim <no spam@thanks.com> wrote:
: Hi

: I've been looking for a portable storage device to take on holiday

: Am currently leaning towards the iPod photo

: Anyone have any opinions/advice to offer

: Will the thing store music and pictures or is it an either or situation?

: I'm looking for something that will handle file transfer and recharging on
: its own as it's unlikely that I'll have access to a PC

: Thanks for any help

You may want to look into some of the portable CD burners with built in
card readers. Many of them use rechargable batteries and the best ones
have a screen for checking the images before erasing the card (a good
practice). A few even have speakers and the ability to play MP3s (not
many). But these devices are simply copying whatever is on the card to the
CD and so will store anything that is stored on the memory card (photos,
MP3s, programs, data files, etc.). Remember that things like screens,
speakers, sound file players and such will reduce the battery life and
increase the price. It may be cheaper to have your card memory archive
storage device as minimal as possible, and purchase seperate players for
other formats.

The obvious limits of these devices is the storage limit of a single CD,
but unlike a HD storage device, you are only limited by the number of
blank CDs you can carry. So the main advantage of a HD device is the ease
of storage for large files, while the advantage of CD burner devices is
easily replaceable media. You will have to weigh the plusses and minuses
for your own situation.

Personally I have a CD burner for vacation photo storage as this solution
seems to fit me best. And I can also use this item at home as it can be
plugged into a USB port on my PC to become a spare CD burner and multi
format card reader. To play back movie files, and sound files (as well as
view JPG images), I have a small portable DVD player that runs off a
rechargable battery. Both these devices came with car adapters so I can
always use them (and charge the batteries) even if I am in an area with
limited or unreliable AC service. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
April 1, 2005 2:40:41 PM

Hi Tim,

If it's Photo storage first (with the ability to dump & review without a PC)
there's not much better than the Epson Photo Viewer P2000. 40GB HD and a
gorgeous 3.8" 640x480 display (the iPod photo can only muster a 2" display
at 220x176). It will directly take the CF or SD cards from your camera.

Regards

DM

"Tim" <no spam@thanks.com> wrote in message
news:p 2V2e.4817$r47.2499@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I've been looking for a portable storage device to take on holiday
>
> Am currently leaning towards the iPod photo
>
> Anyone have any opinions/advice to offer
>
> Will the thing store music and pictures or is it an either or situation?
>
> I'm looking for something that will handle file transfer and recharging on
> its own as it's unlikely that I'll have access to a PC
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Tim

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 6:17:30 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:20:05 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital , Randy
Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> in
<d2isn5$3vj$1@wildfire.prairienet.org> wrote:

>Tim <no spam@thanks.com> wrote:
>: Hi
>
>: I've been looking for a portable storage device to take on holiday
>
>: Am currently leaning towards the iPod photo
>
>: Anyone have any opinions/advice to offer
>
>: Will the thing store music and pictures or is it an either or situation?
>
>: I'm looking for something that will handle file transfer and recharging on
>: its own as it's unlikely that I'll have access to a PC
>
>: Thanks for any help
>
>You may want to look into some of the portable CD burners with built in
>card readers. Many of them use rechargable batteries and the best ones
>have a screen for checking the images before erasing the card (a good
>practice). A few even have speakers and the ability to play MP3s (not
>many). But these devices are simply copying whatever is on the card to the
>CD and so will store anything that is stored on the memory card (photos,
>MP3s, programs, data files, etc.). Remember that things like screens,
>speakers, sound file players and such will reduce the battery life and
>increase the price. It may be cheaper to have your card memory archive
>storage device as minimal as possible, and purchase seperate players for
>other formats.
>
>The obvious limits of these devices is the storage limit of a single CD,
>but unlike a HD storage device, you are only limited by the number of
>blank CDs you can carry. So the main advantage of a HD device is the ease
>of storage for large files, while the advantage of CD burner devices is
>easily replaceable media. You will have to weigh the plusses and minuses
>for your own situation.
>
>Personally I have a CD burner for vacation photo storage as this solution
>seems to fit me best. And I can also use this item at home as it can be
>plugged into a USB port on my PC to become a spare CD burner and multi
>format card reader. To play back movie files, and sound files (as well as
>view JPG images), I have a small portable DVD player that runs off a
>rechargable battery. Both these devices came with car adapters so I can
>always use them (and charge the batteries) even if I am in an area with
>limited or unreliable AC service. :)

Another option is to use a CD burning service while on vacation. If
you have enough card memory for a day or two you can just burn CDs as
you need them. Just ran into a couple on the end of their three month
trek through Central America. As they filled up the camera memory they
burned CDs (in Honduras and Belize and Nicaragua). They kept one copy
with them and mail another home.

--
Matt Silberstein

April 3, 2005 6:42:30 PM