My System has been as shown since May 2011;

Win 7 64 Home
AMD Athlon II X2 5000+ at stock 2.6 Ghz
ASUS M2N-SLI
6 GB DDR II
PNY GTX 550 Ti
OCZ Vertex II 32 GB SSD (Boot drive)
WD Caviar 150 GB

My problem is when I boot Windows I am stuck in standard VGA with Device manager showing:
"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)" under my graphics card

Previously I was having intermittant problems with my machine not fully loading windows and being stuck in a black screen before the user sign in page. Otherwise it ran very stable.

Anyone with ideas?

I have uninstall all NVidia drivers, and reinstalled, and also used Windows install repair on my boot issues

More about : gtx 550 driver fail

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2011 7:45:17 PM

do you have another graphics card you can try?

the 550 ti may be dead
m
l
September 11, 2011 7:53:39 PM

Unfortunately not, my last card an 8800GT died in May.

Is this problem a normal failure mode for a GPU? i surprised I get video at all if it failed.
m
l
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2011 8:10:10 PM

graphics cards have a built in ability to boot without the driver so you can start the system and have an image on the screen .
It gives you the vga/safe mode screen . That obviously works

But if the driver wont install for the real graphics core then it could be the card .
Did it produce artifacts in images while gaming ? lines or other shapes that didnt render properly?

have you tried re-seating it and checking the auxillary power connector?
m
l
September 11, 2011 9:31:35 PM

Have tried pulling and reseating , and the power connector was plugged in. now that you mention it I will try to change power connectors.

Thanks for your input, I will post when I have the opportunity.
m
l

Best solution

September 12, 2011 3:19:08 AM

also, maybe try rolling back to the previous nVidia driver to the version you're using now. i was having issues with my new PNY GTX550ti with the newest (280.26) drivers, but i'm now back to 275.33 and no problems whatsoever. reading thru the various PC message boards, the general consensus is that the latest drivers aren't so good, and a lot of users had your exact problem. there's a few exceptions though, and they say the drivers are great. hope that helps.
September 12, 2011 3:06:38 PM

Good idea, D/L the 275.33 right now.

Changing the power connector had no effect...
m
l
September 12, 2011 4:50:43 PM

Ok I give up, going back to 275 didnt change anything. PNY wont honor the warranty because I didnt register the card within 90 days. Bull*&^t

Just went to Newegg and ordered new CPU MB RAM GPU, none of it NVidia or PNY.

Thanks guys for your input!
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:21:22 PM

This will be the first time doing this with Win 7, I bought an OEM disk with my HDD upgrade last time around. Which I installed as a new setup vs an upgrade from XP

If I format C: and go with a fresh install, will I have a problem getting Windows activated?
m
l
September 19, 2011 12:46:07 AM

Best answer selected by Willey02.
m
l
September 21, 2011 5:52:17 AM

Willey02 said:
This will be the first time doing this with Win 7, I bought an OEM disk with my HDD upgrade last time around. Which I installed as a new setup vs an upgrade from XP

If I format C: and go with a fresh install, will I have a problem getting Windows activated?

Shouldn't be an issue with OEM Win 7 unless you've switched out your motherboard. OEM Win7 is tied to the Mobo.
m
l
October 5, 2011 9:18:05 AM

WDC is your problem,

The HDD sucks, mine use WDC32, i doesnt read my onboard sound card (had to buy the PCI slot ones), BSOD, and crashing on win XP, win Vista, Win 7 after booting. sometimes the HDD not detected.

Had 2 of this thing and both shows the same crap.

My Desktop

is AMD 64 2X 5000+
4GB RAM
GTX 550ti AMP

with 430W PSU

I know its a crappy desktop, but after I change the HDD to Hitachi, no problems ever occured.

Seems that WDC tends to mess up with the WIN SYS.

Never going to buy those stuff again.

m
l
!