Upgrading GPU

Donut 1o1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hello everyone and I hope you can help me out.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Not Sure (see below)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: World of Warcraft, The Orange Box, HD video, and maybe some more intensive games 2012 or later.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia 9800GTX+, Corsair TX750 Watt

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.1 GHz, GSkill 8GB DDR2

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: America

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would prefer to stay Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: Yes IF MINOR

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (see below)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 maybe 2560 x 1600 (see below)

Alright, I have been using the 9800gtx+ for the past 2 years and it's been great, however the card is starting to show it's age and I'm not able to max settings anymore. Now I could just upgrade to a new card and be fine for another year or so but I was wondering, Should I spend 150-200$ now on a low-mid range card (my budget limit), wait a few months and buy a (EX. gtx 580/570) when the price drops, OR wait about 5-8 months, hold out with my old card, and spend $300-350 on a new/powerful card that I could use for a while and then reuse/SLI in another system I plan to build in about a year or two.

P.S. I cannot SLI with my current setup but the new one I plan to build will support SLI.

You might not see any improvement picking up a card in the $150-200 range.

I'm guessing a GTX 580 may be down to the $300-350 mark in 5-8 months. I'd say hold off for now and get that then. In 5-8 months, I don't think you'll find anything better for less. If you plan to run SLI at that time, you'll have little headroom with 2 580s and that PSU though, but it will work. You might want to get an 850W or higher corsair or seasonic with the new setup as the PSU and other system components may become less efficient as they age. My 2 580s on my system with SLI run from the mid to high 600Ws during intense gaming (high 700Ws draw from the wall).