Cpu fan not working properly

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
i get this msg "warning: cpu fan not working properly please restart computer"
but my cpu fan is def spinning. first time i got the msg i ignored it cuz i wasnt sure if its my computer or some fake internet scam. but just now i got it again and it froze my computer. i got it when i went afk. usually i get the BSOD when i afk only when i afk. but i think i fixxed the bsod problem in the bios. now i get the cpu fan not working msg. plz help its a new computer i just built.
the only thing i changed in the bios is my ram timing to match its spec and dram and cpu NB vid volt by +0.10. i don't think my cpu is overheating since i idle at 35-40 and if i afk it should stay the same? im fine if i don't afk. i can use the comp for hours. but when i afk for a few hours it goes dead on me.

gigabyte 970a-ud3 mobo
phenom 955 BE stock fan

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
corsair AX 750 gold
and yes the cpu fan is plugged into the mobo cpu fan header
never had this msg pop up til last night and just now after coming back from an AFK
i notice most of the problems when i come back from an AFK: BSOD, fan problem + freeze

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
the cpu fan not working properly msg popped up again but this time it gave me the BSOD right after the msg and start dumping memory
i went into the bios and my cpu fan is spinning at 2000rpm with 37-38 degree celciius
usually im lik around 1000. or 1000 something rpm.

after doing some research it turns out my stock fan can actually go up to 6000rpm. i dont think i ever seen it go tht high even when playing crysis 2 and my cpu temp went up to 50C.

Chipbuster

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I get something similar in windows: "Your CPU fan is not working! You must turn off your computer and check it immediately!"

First time I ripped the power cord out and opened up the side right away. I've been pretty much ignoring it since then, since it hasn't caused any issues, but since you're BSOD-ing, it's different.

Are you sure its caused by an AFK? Mine pop up randomly, but they seem to happen after AFKs a lot just because there's more time when I'm AFK for them to happen (if that makes sense)

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
no its not just afk. mostly when im afk. but at first i just got one when im surfing the web and it blue screened me. so its not just afking. and thats the EXACT same msg i got.
im gonna replace my crappy stock HSF hopefully tht will solve it. im also pretty sure my bios settings has something to do with it.
im setting my bios according to: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

i dont think i set it properly :/

if anyone have any ideas or solution plz help

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hi Joobie,

have you any Gigabyte utility for MoBo monitoring installed? Or third party? Considered that application to eventually cause your problems and even giving false alarms about the fan not running?

Just an idea...

Best
Andy

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
yes i installed easy tuner 6 which came with my mobo cd, hwmonitor also came with it, speedfan, cpu-z, core temp, gpu-z, amd overdrive and bunch of others. i don't have any of those programs opened when i receive the message.

i think it is a ram problem after i changed my ram timing i stopped getting BSOD but i still get the fan message. im replacing my stock fan with the cooler master 212+ tonight.

im just ignoring the message now. cuz everytime i get the message i check the fan and its stil spinning and i opened speedfan and it said my fan is spinning at 2000rpm. i also have 'cool n quiet' enabled.

ru_1980

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I actually had the same problem with an ASUS P8Z68 board. There was actually 2 CPU fan headers... If I remember correctly they were numbered wrong or something...either way, I hooked the fan up when I built it to what i thought was the proper header but it wasn't. The second header (or 1st) wasn't reporting the CPU fan speed and I was getting a warning. If you have Dual CPU fan headers try the second one. May solve your problem.

edit: sorry just noticed it was a gigabyte board. Look in your BIOS. If I remember correctly there are settings in the BIOS for "FAN ON temp" and temp speed monitoring. I believe you can turn off speed monitoring (thus removing the warnings). Could it be you have your fan temp set "higher" than room temp and the fan is ACTUALLY stopping when the computer idles down and runs cooler?

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
'Radio Kenya' again...

If speedfan says your fan works and is spinning at 2000 rpm, you can actually rule out the fan as well as the motherboard. Monitoring works...(seems to, at least... ;) )
First I'd strongly recommend to check whether any of your installed monitoring software is still actively monitoring (or trying to) although it isn't open in a window. Possibly something still runs in the background and is not working properly or not fully compatible with your system configuration. *If* you have speedfan actively running at the same time I'd think the other soft (whatever it is) cannot really work in parallel with speedfan, perhaps it doesn't get access to the sensor readings when it needs to and therefore alerts you 'thinking' the fan ain't working. I realised that you installed a whole bunch of monitoring/tuning utilities. When you get that pop up, is it giving you a hint which program actually raises the alert? Normally I'd expect that...
Actually - just thinking a bit more thorough about the pop up message - I'd urgently check for some malware infection. I consider it somewhat funny that an 'unkown' fan speed monitoring utility should ask you to 'restart the computer' if the CPU fan isn't working properly. I'd rather expect a serious program to tell you to *shut down* your system immediately and check the fan.
What do you gain by restarting on a stuck CPU cooler? A ruined processor under circumstances. So once again - I'd check for an infection as well.

Best
Andy

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
So i just installed my new cpu fan cooler master hyper 212+
my system runs alot cooler now but i still get that message and froze my comp
my fan was still running. i disabled 'cool n quiet' hopefully that should stop it. im gonna run a virus check later.

There's no hint at all as to which program gave me that warning. At the header it just says "Warning!!!" then follows the message in the box. I'm thinking its my mobo or windows but it does look super fake. The first time I saw it i just ignored it cuz it look fake. but appearantly its the real deal. my biggest concern is that sometimes my comp would freeze or BSOD right after the message. If this is a malware, its a pretty godly malware.

bwf1975

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I also had same problem on my asus p8z68 board, with stock and aftermarket cooler, searched asus forums lots people worryed about it, but latest bios fixed it for me, to ignore it just turn off in bios and use other cpu temp program.

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I checked the specs for your mobo on gigabyte's website. As far as I can tell they still use a conventional BIOS. Except through running some Gigabyte monitoring software on your Windows I cannot imagine how the motherboard should actually give you a pop up within Windows to warn about a fan not running. So, once again, since speedfan obviously gets the right reading from that fan, I do not think it is a mobo or BIOS issue.

Malware or monitoring tool being sort of locked out of accessing the sensors by speedfan would be my best bet. Thinking about freezes and BSODs, that could be another hint for shitty programming on either of them. But could also be a result of the second monitoring soft (if it exists and runs) stubbornly trying to access sensors against speedfan and then causing these issues. Is your RAM known to be good and stable? That might be another reason for freezes and BSOD of course.

Still, what puzzles me (and makes me think it may be some sort of malware) is the pop up not showing any hint what program it actually is. Really no logo, no small writing, nothing?

BTW, if your machine freezes or BSODs and you cannot restart/power off: First try the Reset button. That will be healthier to your hard disk. If that doesn't work (unlikely though) then press and hold the power button for more than 5 seconds. That should actually force it to power off.

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Here's a screenshot of the message

35kpj12.gif

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Hi

you also said in one of your later posts that it gave you the message when you were browsing the web and then BSOD'd. Again, this drags me into suspecting some shitty malware...

I had a look at a number of other forums regarding this pop up. First of all - you are by far not alone. Second - it seems to be an issue with Gigabyte boards and AMD CPUs.

More recommendations of mine:
- uninstall ALL monitoring and tuning utilities you are using, but only one by one, then test fo some time after each removal. Other people suffering from the same thing use AIDA64, Everest, Easytune6, speedfan and others.

- Once all monitoring and tuning is uninstalled and you still get that damned thing, you should really scan with some decent malware scanners if you caught some "joke" virus or fraud/fake utility.

- to be on the safe side, also check your BIOS and make sure CPU fan warnings are disabled.

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
just scanned my computer with avast this morning and found nothing
i might scan it with something else later doubt i infected anything
im pretty sure cpu fan warning is disabled i check it everytime i go into bios but ill check again later when i reboot my comp
and i dont see how the other software can give the warning esp when they werent even open. but i'll uninstall them anyways since i rarely use them anymore

my mobo comes with hwmonitor and easytuner6 and it werent open at the time of the message should i uninstall those too?

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

There might still be some memory resident part of any monitoring software, no matter which one it is, which could have been setup during installation to autostart as a system service... So even if you do not open the actual GUI of the program, the hardware monitoring part is probably always running in the background. It could also be set as a scheduled task to start everytime at user logon. Since it seems to be somewhat Gigabyte-related (according to my research), I'd at least and specially uninstall the software that came with the MoBo.
For scanning you could also try SpybotSD after an update to current definitions.
Another idea - If you get that pop up the next time, make a note of the exact (system) time. Then have a look at the event logs for applications and system and see if any event was logged for that time. That could give you a hint which program actually causes the pop up. Well, it could... possibly... if it writes to the event logs... it's worth a try.
One more thing - I'm not really familiar with AMD CPU features, since I've always been o the Intel rail. Some posters in the other forums mentioned they had Cool'n'Quiet disabled which seemed to sort the problem for some of them. Only we don't know what other software they might have disabled at the same time. Anyway, if you have it enabled, also try disabling Cool'n'Quiet.

joobie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I think I might've fixxed it..didnt get no message ever since i uninstalled AMD overdrive beta. it works directly with the mobo and it does have a background program up which doesnt show up.

but now i have another problem. just got a message saying window aero is slowing down my comp and asked me if i want to set my windows aero to window 7 basic. i chose yes and boy is windows 7 basic crappy. i have wow open in the background at the time.

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Sorry for the late reply. Some work to do...
Good if you really managed to get rid of that message.
Now about the basic display theme - just put Aero back on. I don't think you'll suffer from performance problems by that. And yes, basic *is* crappy indeed. ;)
Some older software does force that setting for compatibility reasons, but only temporarily. Basically the message you got should have said it *may* cause performance issues, but that's a standard warning so I won't mind. Turn it back on and enjoy.

that actually looks like a malware message. as far as i know windows wont tell you if your cpu fan has stopped working as windows doesn't actively monitor it, thus the reason we have speedfan, core temp and others.

the reason i think its malware is it wants you to turn off straight away. this would allow the malware to spread to the first items in the boot menu and probably infect your antivirus.

i notice you have the piece of crap avast on your machine... please get ridd of that its bloated and pointless with a catch rate of less than 80%

run decent antimalware apps like avira and malware bytes. your likley to see you have a rootkit or some other nastys.

also get speed fan it reliably monitors your cpu fan speed and you will know if its not working properly because it wont be within +/- 10% of the rated fan speed.

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Thank you so much for this Kannibal Kraut!

This had been annoying me for quite a while now, as you can see here aswell..