Sign in with
Your question

Want feedback on middle of the road gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2011 8:48:24 PM

I have already picked up a few parts - now I'm looking for feedback on the rest of my build.

Approximate Purchase Date: October 1

Budget Range: not fixed -- want to hit sweet spot on bang for the buck

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 99% Gaming, 1% web browsing

Parts Not Required:

CPU: i5-2500k
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU cooler: Cooler Master 212
Optical Drive: random Sony drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere reputable, with slight preference to newegg

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: None really

Overclocking: Most likely, but on the conservative side

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: don't have one yet, but most likely 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Mainly plan on playing Diablo 3. Really want a sleek, classier looking case -- strongly dislike neons and LEDs

Here is the rest of the build as I have it planned:

Is there anything problematic about this set up? Anything you would like to suggest in place of something I have in my cart?
September 11, 2011 9:11:12 PM

The only bad / negative point is the case - you said you wanted a sleek / classy case, which in my mind is not the HAF series.... they are rather "in your face" when it comes to styling. Have you considered the Antec P series ?? they can be pricey, but have very clean "uncluttered" styling

Antec P183 is a great looking case and stll gives very good cooling.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2011 9:33:02 PM

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKA3-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Cooler Master RS700-PCAAE3-US 700W Power Supply $129.99 and it comes with a power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That would allow you to put $90 towards this ; MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $349.99 with a $20 rebate for a cost of $329.99

m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2011 9:42:55 PM

Also that Corsair RAM has pretty tall heatsinks on them that aren't exactly necessary. Try finding a similar pair that don't have such a high profile. This can prevent future CPU cooling issues with larger heatsinks from fitting.
m
l
September 11, 2011 9:58:26 PM

I really like Inzone's suggestion -- I end up with a less flashy case and have more money to put towards the video card.

Now I have a clarification question:
mxsix said:
Also that Corsair RAM has pretty tall heatsinks on them that aren't exactly necessary. Try finding a similar pair that don't have such a high profile. This can prevent future CPU cooling issues with larger heatsinks from fitting.

Just to be clear, I think you are saying that the heat sinks on the ram might interfere with the CPU cooler (Cooler Master 212). Is this what you were mentioning?

I was surprised when I saw how big the CPU heatsink cooler set up was, but so many people run this one that I assume most cases will fit it. Anyone know if the scout in particular will fit it? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2011 10:23:05 PM

The Cooler Master 212 does not look like it would interfere with anything there is plenty of room for it even height wise , you would have more trouble with something like this ; COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

m
l
September 11, 2011 11:01:01 PM

Quote:
The Hyper 212 cooler is pretty large and the stock fan on it will block the first ram slot on most motherboards.

All you have to do is install the ram side fan up a little. The fan bracket that comes with the 212 allows you to move it up a little if that's a problem, it isn't on my P6T.
m
l
September 13, 2011 8:32:18 PM

Hey guys,

I now have what I think is a suitable shopping list. I want to post it up here one last time before checking out just for peace of mind. Here are some changes I have made:

1. I dumped the Cooler Master case and will be getting a Corsair 600T in black, bundled with a Corsair TX650w PSU

2. Swapped out the 570 for a Gigabyte 6950 1gb. I know this is a downgrade, but it's still probably overkill for playing Diablo 3, and fits my budget much better. If anyone wants to suggest a different 1gb 6950 card in the same price range go ahead.

3. I installed the CPU and cooler on the motherboard to check for ram clearance. Gigabyte says to use channels 1&2, which are the 2nd and 4th channels away from the CPU. It looks to me like I'll have plenty of ram clearance. If not, I'll slide the fan up, or put it on the opposite side of the heatsink and have it pull.

If anyone wants to give feedback on the monitor I picked out I'd be glad to hear that as well.

Thanks again for your guys' help!
m
l
!