Help Building My Own Computer

Driagan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hello, I am planning on building my own desktop computer, however this is something I've never done before. I have read quite a bit online about it, and designed a build that I think will work, however I am not sure. I have a few questions:

Will all of these components fit together properly?

Should I get a 60GB SSD and install the OS to that, with a larger HDD for everything else, or will that not give significant improvements?

How will this computer work for gaming? Should I go for a better graphics card?

Are there any components you would recommend changing?

Here are all of the components in the computer:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express 150/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter
HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
■2x CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Kingwin ATS-W24 Anti-Static Wrist Strap w/ Grounding Wire
TOTAL: $683.61

(I have a 500 watt power supply and a sound card that I'm planning on salvaging from my last computer for the one I'm building, that's why there is no power supply listed)

Thank you for all the help!

Solution

If you're going with an X6, do not pair it with an ATI 4670, it's a very old, slow, and outdated DX9 card. You could get one to use as a replacement in case your primary fails, but a card as old as the 4670 should not...

g-unit1111

Titan

If you're going with an X6, do not pair it with an ATI 4670, it's a very old, slow, and outdated DX9 card. You could get one to use as a replacement in case your primary fails, but a card as old as the 4670 should not be used as your main graphics card. You need at least a 6850 or better to compete in modern environments, if you cant afford that, I'd recommend getting a 6790 or a GeForce GTX 560. I'd also recommend changing out the motherboard and getting something 990FX-based so you have an upgrade path for Bulldozer CPUs. Gigabyte would work well in this area.

Although if you have a very limited budget, have you considered the quad-core AMD Llano CPUs? Those seem to work well for budget builds and home theater PCs.

And yes, the 60GB plus larger HDD is amazing. I just got a 64GB Crucial M4 from Newegg for super cheap and paired it with a Samsung Spinpoint, it's definitely the way to go. I'm thinking of getting one to go with my main system.

And as for the Arctic compound - it's pretty good, but I'd recommend using EVGA Frostbite, or Thermalright CMII.

One other thing - Asus DVD burners are HORRENDOUS. I had several fail on me, and one was spinning so loudly my co-worker commented that it sounded like a Ferrari engine. Needless to say after three or four returns to Newegg, I gave up and switched to Lite-On and haven't had any problems since. :lol:

Solution

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
assuming $700 is roughly your budget, you should probably skip the ssd if your goal is to play modern games. this build is not ready to go. im sorry, i dont have time to help you tonight but i dont think you are going in the right direction at the moment

Driagan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thank you for your advice, g-unit1111. I have made some modifications to the setup, the new setup follows.

Will the 500-watt power supply I have from my previous computer be sufficient for this computer, or should I invest in a higher wattage power source?

I took your advice and grabbed a different DVD burner, I upgraded the graphics card, and upgraded the motherboard to a 990FX version. When I upgraded the motherboard, I went ahead and upgraded the RAM to a new type, Ripjaws X.

I'm trying to keep the build less than $1,000. However, less than that is good too! I just don't really want to exceed $1,000.

How does the build look now, is it more sufficient for modern day games (and hopefully would last me a while)? I'm pretty much going to just be using the computer for video games (StarCraft II, Star Wars: The Old Republic, etc.), typical college stuff (writing papers, browsing the web, etc.), and programming (I really want to mess around with parallel programming, however my current computer only has a single core processor, so I can't do much with that at the moment).

And, the more important question: Will it all fit together, did I do my research properly?

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and ...
ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express 150/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter
HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Kingwin ATS-W24 Anti-Static Wrist Strap w/ Grounding Wire
■2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan
EVGA M019-00-000003 Frostbite Thermal Paste - Super Cool
TOTAL: $899.97