Sign in with
Your question

New Build part fail...motherboard or CPU?

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2011 9:36:14 PM

Hello, I have a new build I'm struggling to get up and going. I'm using
Biostar A870u3
AMD Phenom II X2 555
GSkill Ripjaws 2x4GB memory
Sapphire Radeon HD 6770
Samsung Spinpoint 1tb sata
Corsair TX650 PSU
I've followed the Tom's checklist but still can't find the culprit. I really feel as if the mobo or the CPU is faulty, but I can't determine which. One thing I don't understand though, is when I assemble it all, I'm using the front panel power button to provide power to the system. The PSU comes on, the video card fan spins, the chasis fans spin, the hdd spins up and can hear it coming on, but the CPU stock fan doesn't spin up and there are no LED lights on the mobo that indicate it is working.
I took the build to a family member's who's PC I just completed and had capabilities of testing some of the parts. Her pc was using an Asus mobo with the Phenom II X2 555 as well (which I had unlocked the dormant cores), so I figured the quickest way to check was to exchange procs. Unfortunately the new processor didn't fully boot her system, and her processor didn't power the new build at all. When I put the new CPU in her computer, all the fans came on, the hdd started up and you could hear spinning, it just never booted or actually gave out any video either (which I attributed to a settings issue and would have perhaps been able to remedy with a CMOS reset/pop of the battery). When I put her CPU in the new build, it gives the same results as the new cpu (spinning fans, spinning hdd, spinning video card fan).
So, this leads me to believe that the motherboards is the problem, yet I don't understand why the front panel switch will power on the unit when it's wired through the motherboard.
So, for those who have troubleshooted problem builds before, does this indeed sound like a MOBO RMA?
September 11, 2011 9:56:55 PM

You need to do a proper CLEAR CMOS. Removing the battery isn't how you do it. There is usually two ways:

1) Moving the CMOS jumper from pins 1_2 to 2_3
2) Pressing the CLR CMOS button on motherboard, if applicable.
3) Double check your CPU Fan plug is installed correctly, and in the right location.

Look at your motherboard manual for the proper jumper settings and location however. This may or may not fix your problem.

Double check your RAM is properly seated and locked in. Also make sure it's in the proper banks. Read your manual.

If not, try uninstalling (removing from the motherboard) your video card and hook up your monitor to the motherboard directly.

Hope this works for you :D 
m
l
September 11, 2011 10:19:26 PM

when you put your CPU in her system, the BIOS still try to unlock the core, which may not be possible on your CPU. Try disabling core unlock and test your CPU again
m
l
September 11, 2011 10:35:10 PM

steelbeast said:
You need to do a proper CLEAR CMOS. Removing the battery isn't how you do it. There is usually two ways:

1) Moving the CMOS jumper from pins 1_2 to 2_3
2) Pressing the CLR CMOS button on motherboard, if applicable.
3) Double check your CPU Fan plug is installed correctly, and in the right location.

Look at your motherboard manual for the proper jumper settings and location however. This may or may not fix your problem.

Double check your RAM is properly seated and locked in. Also make sure it's in the proper banks. Read your manual.

If not, try uninstalling (removing from the motherboard) your video card and hook up your monitor to the motherboard directly.

Hope this works for you :D 

Thank you for taking the time to respond, but that isn't an answer to my question. I didn't try to clear CMOS at any point nor am I trying to in the new build. I stated that I felt it would have been ok with a CMOS reset/pop of the battery...perhaps I should have actually taken the time to type 'or' instead of '/'. I agree with Pat that the BIOS was probably trying to unlock the cores and it was causing a problem. Problem was that I had worked 13hours and was just worn out and didn't have the time or the brain cells left to keep sitting at her house and doing trial and error. I need to go back there and verify but it will be a couple days before I can match my schedule with hers and was hoping to get experienced comments like that from community. Again, thank you for your response, but I also stated that I followed through with the Tom's checklist and part of that check list is double-checking the cpu fan plug as well as the 12v power plug from PSU. I also reseated both ram sticks...I tried starting up with only one stick and I alternated sticks and I alternated slots. Originally I had also read my manual like an intelligent person and had already placed the sticks in the correct boot-up modules. :)  Also, there is no on-board video, there is only a video card...and the vid card works in other pcs just fine and was also securely seated and the power plug was plugged in fully and clipped in place with the clip holder. But thanks again for response.
m
l
!