Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best suitable Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2011 10:44:19 AM

Hi,

Kindly request you to please guide me on the best possbile graphics card for the below system. I'd GT7300 but it died out (I see blue lines when I plug it to the MB and cannot install any drivers anymore).

My system (almost 5 yrs old):

Core2 Duo 1.8Ghz (had bought it on the day of its release)
3 GB DDR2
Intel G945 Motherboard

I want to play high end games like Mafia 2 (which ran very very slow on my earlier card) or even COJ: The Carrtel (release - 19 July)

Request experts help if 480GTX will work on my machine or request you to suggest any better option.

I'll be upgrading my machine next year and hence, am not going for i7 or higher. Thanks.

More about : suitable graphics card

July 11, 2011 11:03:30 AM

We need your power supply info also, because that will tell us what card you can support. One PCI-E 2.0 slot on your motherboard will run any single card you put in it, but your system will seriously bottleneck new high-end cards. Also, why GTX 480 of all cards. You can do better than that. I love Nvidia too, but that card is just too much hassle.
Score
July 12, 2011 5:26:36 AM

Hello Joshyboy,

Thanks for the reply..

I've 450W power supply and have heard that 600w is what it requires these days..Sorry, am bit out of sync since never pitched in the trend for last 5 yrs..

It is just that I wish to play latest games (heavy graphics) and am not sure which graphics card would suffice my needs. Games like GTA4, Mafia2 or latest COD use to run like ultra-slow motion on my machine till my card was alive and hence, this need to upgrade.

Kindly request for expert's guidance plz. Thanks.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 5:37:45 AM

if you have a PCIx16 then you can run the 480. the main issue is - the 480 will be bottlenecked by your system. you are looking for somethign to greatly increase your performance; a high end gpu will do that but only to a certain degree. GTA4 needs a quad core and will run horribly on your system even with a high end GPU- it is a poorly ported game. your memory being DDR2 - what speed is it? somethign like 400mhz wont cut it at all and 1.8 is pretty slow for a cpu. As i said, you will see some gains from a high end card, but will not see anythign near what you want with a 1.8ghz cpu and DDR2.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 6:03:34 AM

humpty_dumpty said:
Hello Joshyboy,

Thanks for the reply..

I've 450W power supply and have heard that 600w is what it requires these days..Sorry, am bit out of sync since never pitched in the trend for last 5 yrs..

It is just that I wish to play latest games (heavy graphics) and am not sure which graphics card would suffice my needs. Games like GTA4, Mafia2 or latest COD use to run like ultra-slow motion on my machine till my card was alive and hence, this need to upgrade.

Kindly request for expert's guidance plz. Thanks.

That 450W power supply probably do not have the PCIe power cable to support a 480. But even if it does, it may just die on the 480 because its a power hungry monster.

To move forward, what is the monitor resolution you want to play on? And how much is your budget for upgrade?
Score
July 12, 2011 12:05:15 PM

Hello Randomkid,

Thanks for the advise. Budget is the best and lowest fit to run games like Mafia2, COJ3 or COD latest.. dont want to spend on upgrade since I'll part of with this system next year as am sensing few mind freaking updates from internal sources on Intel. Hence, waiting for the new developments.

Next year wont mind to shell out $1500 odd to have a new machine and hence, am limiting myself for now.

Would you recon a power supply upgrade too? My main concern is about the MB and am not sure to what extent will it support the latest/higher cards.

Please guide. Thanks.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 2:06:47 PM

you need a 16 lane PCI e slot on your mobo to fit a newer card, and yes, your power supply will have to be upgraded if you want anything but lower end cards. If you are wanting a badass higher end card for when you upgrade, dont - one more year and nvidia and ati will have their 28 nm chips out and blow everything out of the water along with whatever mind blowing stuff as you say from intel .
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 2:32:18 PM

just wait for the next generation cards and upgrade whole your system. Your CPU is quite weak and it will bottleneck almost any latest card, but if you really don't want to upgrade your PSU&CPU then you could get a HD5670
Score
July 18, 2011 5:06:35 AM

Hello Experts,

thanks for your previous guidance...final query before I end this topic...

Kindly request you to please guide me on if my old MOBO intel D945GZIS support HD6670/5670 DDR5 graphics cards.

My query here is mainly for 1 GB DDR5 graphics cards on D945 motherboard and request your help here. Thanks.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2011 7:29:55 AM

humpty_dumpty said:
Hello Experts,
Kindly request you to please guide me on if my old MOBO intel D945GZIS support HD6670/5670 DDR5 graphics cards.
My query here is mainly for 1 GB DDR5 graphics cards on D945 motherboard and request your help here. Thanks.

The Intel 945GZIS is equipped with PCI Express* Revision 1.0a

All new PCIe Cards is backward compatible & will work on your motherboard.
So in answer to your question, HD6670/5670 DDR5 cards are supported.
http://www.columbuscomputermedic.com/D946GZIS%20h.html
The DDR5 memory actually do not have any factor on the PCIe compatibility. its just that DDR5 is faster than lower DDR versions.
July 18, 2011 8:19:11 AM

Best answer selected by humpty_dumpty.
Score
July 18, 2011 8:19:44 AM

Thanks Randomkid..... hats off to you and a big help!!
Off I'm to buy a new card :) 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 18, 2011 9:54:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!